Jambands.ca

Customer Service Atrocities... (tell your tale)

gentlemonkey

Can you please let the people at Rogers know that just because I call in with a technical issue, or I want to add or remove a couple of channels that it's not ok to turn the call into a sales pitch for a myriad of services that I do not want?

I've also recently been introduced to a new kind of hell, the door-to-door Roger's sales person (usually a really creepy dude). If you thought repeatedly saying no to someone over the phone was annoying, doing it face-to-face is about a million times more aggravating.

God I wish there was a true alternative to Rogers and Bell.

At the company I work for I'm the office manager (plus a few other positions, we're small) so I deal with shit all the time and have countless stories.

Most recent was Videotron (Quebec cable service). We've got a big screen TV and we had cable for c-span and what not but all we ever do is play xbox Fifa09 on it during lunch so we cancelled the cable via the requested Videotron way - a signed fax form (this was June).

July comes we get a bill for June to July. I call, have the fax in hand, have the fax report in hand, explain that we cancelled it in June, no problems.

August comes we get a bill for June to July and July to August, I don't even look at it, I just call. I talk to a rep who explains to me that it might be my mistake, he's confused, the account must still be active because we called in July with a modification to the account (which comes with a service fee). The modification call being the one I made explaining we cancelled it in June. I'm nice about it and he assures me it will be taken care of.

Looking forward to September's bill.

Can you please let the people at Rogers know that just because I call in with a technical issue, or I want to add or remove a couple of channels that it's not ok to turn the call into a sales pitch for a myriad of services that I do not want?

I've also recently been introduced to a new kind of hell, the door-to-door Roger's sales person (usually a really creepy dude). If you thought repeatedly saying no to someone over the phone was annoying, doing it face-to-face is about a million times more aggravating.

God I wish there was a true alternative to Rogers and Bell.

slick, heavy set, sun glasses vertical on his head? looks like the kinda guy who would enjoy a weekend marathon of Vin Diesel movies?

I got a call just yesterday from the CRA:

"Hi. I am just calling because you owe $37,000.00 in taxes. How would you like to pay that today?"

"My taxes are completely paid up."

"I wouldn't be phoning you if they were, but let's see here. Oh, there is a payment of this amount, and a payment of this amount, and a payment of this amount... Okay, I am re-applying those payments ... then I think you owe $7,000.00."

"Why don't you go and add it up and confirm for yourself that it's all paid, and if you find out that's wrong, you call me back."

"I wouldn't be phoning if it was all paid up."

"10 seconds ago you thought I owe $37,000.00. Now you are down to $7,000.00. Do you not think that you may be in error?"

"Thank you for your time. I have made the changes."

"Ya. Thanks for calling."

About ten years ago, I was waiting for my Income Tax refund; every day, I went to the ATM to see if it had been deposited. One day I saw a deposit of around the amount that I was expecting, so I wrote a cheque and paid off my credit card.

Two weeks later, I get my bank statement. It shows the big deposit on day x, an adjustment withdrawal made by the bank for the same amount on day y, the cheque paying off my credit card being cashed on day z, and then two adjustment deposits made by the bank on day q totalling the same amount the bank had withdrawn back on day y. There is also a $25 overdraft fee, since the money that I thought was there when I wrote the cheque had been removed the day before it was cashed and then put back in the day after. Naturally, I go to the bank to demand my $25 back.

It turns out that the original deposit wasn't my tax return but some deposit that I certainly didn't make, and was probably a keying error by a teller trying to deposit the money into someone else's account. Being an honest sort, I point out that someone out there is missing over $1000 that has been put into my account. In order to research the error, they want to charge *me* $15 to retrieve the records from storage to figure this out. So... I should pay the bank money to find out whose account they should have put the money into. Forget it, I say - the real owner of the money will eventually come looking for it; let them pay for the service.

The bank refunded my $25 overdraft charge. My real tax refund came in a week later. To this day, no one came looking for the missing money. So I guess this isn't really *my* story of horrible customer service, but someone out there did get horrible customer service and doesn't even know it.

I, currently, can assist with specific issues--and perhaps/hopefully find a solution.

Solving problems that generally accompany all large companies: Maybe next year.

That whole "please hold for a call from..." has always been amusing to me...

Quick first thought/response, "Yeah, right"...then I immediately hang up.

Of course, that was back in the day when I answered calls from unrecognizable numbers (life before call display sucked ass..true, life has very few suprises these days..but I would not want to go back).

Julia certainly helped me out when I was having issues with Rogers.

I am now a happy customer, paying about one third of what I paid at Bell, with a ton more services.

Thanks Julia!

(and thanks for the courtside Raptors tickets, the baseball games, the concert hookups...

You rock!)