Jambands.ca

Liberals push for fall election

bradm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/09/01/ignatieff-liberals090109.html

The Liberals say they will try to trigger the defeat of Stephen Harper's minority Conservative government at the earliest possible date this fall, delivering a message to the prime minister: "Your time is up."

In a campaign-style address to supporters in Sudbury, Ont., Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff said Tuesday that Harper has failed to meet the four conditions the Liberals set out for him in June to remain in power.

Aloha,

Brad

dont these clowns realize that we just want them to do their jobs and not bother the rest of us with stupid elections.

Ignatieff's main point is that the Conservatives haven't been doing their jobs, especially when it comes to improving the economy, getting the infrastructure money out the door, etc.

Aloha,

Brad

dont these clowns realize that we just want them to do their jobs and not bother the rest of us with stupid elections.

Ignatieff's main point is that the Conservatives haven't been doing their jobs' date=' especially when it comes to improving the economy, getting the infrastructure money out the door, etc.[/quote']

point taken, brad. i guess my counter-point is to say who cares? the ship is still sailing and it makes very little difference to any of us passengers as to which minor direction change any of these clowns would steer us towards.

elections are a nuisance.

Ignatieff's main point is that the Conservatives haven't been doing their jobs' date=' especially when it comes to improving the economy, getting the infrastructure money out the door, etc.[/quote']

point taken, brad. i guess my counter-point is to say who cares? the ship is still sailing and it makes very little difference to any of us passengers as to which minor direction change any of these clowns would steer us towards.

elections are a nuisance.

On second thought, when it comes to the topic of stimulus packages, I do care. My mom stands to lose her pension due to Nortel's bankruptcy filing. If this becomes an election issue then I'll likely vote for the party that is going to do the most for the pensioners.

If this becomes an election issue then I'll likely vote for the party that is going to do the most for the pensioners.

[color:purple]and you would base that vote on the clear and unique platform presented by the party of your choice and acted upon immediately when they take office, right? perhaps im just too jaded to recall, but can someone provide an example of an elected federal government that promised something quite different from it opponents and then acted on that promise?

It's far too sad that this next election will have at it the major ridiculous and inessential plastic issue of 'Canadians didn't want an election' bullshit that doesn't fucking matter.

That's right, all you whiners - your 'I didn't want an election' commentary is horseshit.

y'know why?

Cause Iggy's doing his job precisely as he is supposed to. He's the Leader of the OPPOSITION. It's his job to lead his party to oppose, find fault, and topple the Government. For months he was actually doing his job worse than Jack Layton - who would have shone as opposition Leader but for some reason we didn't vote the NDP in...

Though I was secretly rooting (not anymore i guess) for Layton, I always admired Iggy for giving the Conservatives some time to get their act together - which they NEVER DID. They had months to extend some hard work and effort to this great nation but it never happened.

Do I think we NEED an election? No. Would we Benefit from a change of power? Entirely.

For those that would argue 'But Canada is sitting best in this world Economic Downturn'...Just look at who's suggesting this: The World Bank. Not to get too hard into it, but not only are we not poised on financial ruin, but we were never really at a place that we were ever about to explode with growth and prosperity.

Our wealth is resource-based. Manufacturing is going decidedly abroad and leaving well paying jobs in the dust in the name of our new Global Economy and we're coming to a time that our entire economy/society will have to regroup and reinvent itself. This next election we're going to have to demand more from our leaders and push for the society that we only thought possible in our dreams.

I had so much hope for the Conservatives to actually do a good job in office. They merely failed to make horrendous errors. They Failed to stimulate this country's potential and latent abilities as well as our apparent ones.

You just watch the next few months - you'll rarely get a straight, detailed answer about things they actually did...instead you'll get figures and potential initiatives that they 'couldn't get going' even though it's on the backs of our Civil Servants to do all the actual work in getting these projects moving and keeping them going.

"perhaps im just too jaded to recall, but can someone provide an example of an elected federal government that promised something quite different from it opponents and then acted on that promise?"

(PT)

Well, Phishtaper - the Conservatives have. They worded themselves so as to assure us that they weren't going to really do anything, make any sort of necessary change that would challenge our sensibilities and be any sort of a risk.

They did that. So I suppose they were an immense success, even though they're likely going to be voted out of office...for coming through and doing exactly what they promised.

I always admired Iggy for giving the Conservatives some time to get their act together - which they NEVER DID. They had months to extend some hard work and effort to this great nation but it never happened.

I think you have this backwards, YT. I'd venture to say Iggy wasn't giving the Conservatives anything... rather taking what was needed to get the Liberal act together, enough to call an election and have a shot in hell at winning that election. Let's not think for one second the Liberals are just that nice to say 'See what you can do, Stevie boy'.

And for what it's worth, unless the Liberals put something absolutely drastic and party-changing on their platform, which they won't, because they need to play it safe to win back those votes that went Conservative and maintain their status quo liberal membership, forcing an election that elects Iggy's liberals probably won't change anything.

but can someone provide an example of an elected federal government that promised something quite different from it opponents and then acted on that promise?

Sure, the Conservative promise to cut the GST.

Birdy, there's talk of high speed rail being in the Liberal platform, not exactly sure between where, but that could be unique and draw some votes from both sides of the spectrum.

I'm really enjoying watching the NDP scramble, one day they're bragging about voting to defeat Harper a mllion times and the next NDP MPs are blabbing to the press that they want a deal with the Conservatives. Nice communication strategy idiots.

I suppose it could be seen as a bit demanding to expect a government to be much past approval stage for infrastructure projects, but I don't think it's overly demanding.

I do like his stand on Arctic Soveriegnty, but it shouldn't be hard to see that we're not all that much farther ahead than last year at the same time on almost every front.

They campaigned on results. I see none.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much in too short a time.

Edited by Guest