Jambands.ca

Michael Bryant

StoneMtn

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gecko's tail continues to flip, flop and wriggle long after it has dropped off the lizard's body," Jennifer Viegas reports for the Discovery Channel. "Now a new study proposes the tail is preprogrammed for random movement to foil predators while the rest of the gecko makes a speedy getaway. . . . In the gecko's case, its tail is actually an extension of its spinal cord. No other animal, however, appears to be able to self-amputate a body part that can later move. It would be like a person dropping off one leg that continues to hop around while the rest of the person escapes

A gecko's tail continues to flip, flop and wriggle long after it has dropped off the lizard's body," Jennifer Viegas reports for the Discovery Channel. "Now a new study proposes the tail is preprogrammed for random movement to foil predators while the rest of the gecko makes a speedy getaway. . . . In the gecko's case, its tail is actually an extension of its spinal cord. No other animal, however, appears to be able to self-amputate a body part that can later move. It would be like a person dropping off one leg that continues to hop around while the rest of the person escapes

Slip forum, please.

Aloha,

Brad

Ottawa cyclist killed in collision with bus

At the scene, Ottawa Coroner Guy Genier said the woman cycled up a path that led to Sussex Drive, near the south side of the Pearson building, and drove over the sidewalk into the path of the oncoming bus.

“She apparently cycled right in front of the bus,†Genier said.

Christ, I hope she didn't blow a stop sign! So sad.

Collision risk high where bike lanes end

Busy intersections where bike lanes abruptly end are among the sites where Ottawa cyclists and vehicles collide.

The City of Ottawa's list of top intersections for bicycle-vehicle collisions shows that most are high-traffic locations complicated by multiple streets intersecting or bike paths ending.

"So that it's not a clear-cut left or right," said Michael Powell, chair of the city's roads and cycling advisory committee. "When you have lots of people making lots of decisions very quickly, it lends itself to a situation where accidents happen."

Last Wednesday, Melanie Harris, 34, was killed when she was hit by an Outaouais transit bus on Sussex Drive in Ottawa, an area where bikes move from a separated bike lane to one shared with buses.

The end of bike lanes are a particular problem because they force cyclists who had been separated from cars back into traffic, Powell said.

That change creates safety issues that he believes can be solved by improving infrastructure, but there is another element as well.

"When there's that change in comfort levels, it discourages people from getting out on their bikes and staying out on their bikes."

Powell said the committee is focusing on gaps in the city's cycling infrastructure. In some cases, the answer could be adding a bike lane, Powell said, adding that the city is considering one for the Pretoria Bridge.

In other cases, the traffic may be too fast, and it may be better to divert cyclists to another route, he said.

The city's 2008 cycling plan provides a blueprint for such changes at a cost of $26 million over five years, or a little over $5 million a year. Powell said last year the city ended up committing "not nearly that much," citing budget constraints.

One of the high-traffic intersections where a bike lane ends abruptly is at Maitland Avenue, near the Queensway, where there were six cyclist-vehicle collisions between 2006 and 2008.

Derek Neimor was among the cyclists in the area Tuesday afternoon, and admitted it has challenges.

"Where there's no real bike lane going up over the bridge, there's the on-ramp for Queensway where people aren't necessarily paying attention to bikes," he said. "They're just looking where they're going, most likely just speeding up before they go onto the on-ramps."

Another cyclist passing through the intersection said the end of the bike path that directs cyclists onto the road is a factor as well.

"People aren't expecting a bike to come out of nowhere," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/09/22/ottawa-bike-lane-ends-collisions.html

On my cycling trip through Europe I was absolutely amazed at how cars ALWAYS deferred to cyclists and how cyclists ALWAYS followed the rules. It didn't hurt that there were completely distinct paths for pedestrians and cyclists' date=' and every single road had a dedicated bike lane. In the case 'ersh mentioned, in Denmark if you turn right and nail a cyclist, apparently the fine is enormous.[/quote']

My experiences in Victoria were very similar. Motorists and cyclists have largely learned to live with each other there, and as a result you see a lot less anger and a lot more general compliance with the rules of the road from all sides.

thats probably b/c in victoria it seems neither cyclist or motorist has any clue to 'driving'. not one. it really infuriates me on a near daily basis. :susel:

Edited by Guest

What I should have posted is this:

If you are going straight you shouldn't have to yield, no matter what your mode of transportation. If someone is trying to turn in either direction, they must make sure someone isn't trying to go straight, be it someone driving in their own lane in the other direction, a pedestrian crossing the street, or a cyclist travelling in the same direction as you (who is also in their own lane - the side of the road being the bike lane).

velvet...have you been wearing your helmet? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the video of Bryant rear-ending Al before he proceeded to murder him...

What sort of instigation is there here? Words? Perhaps being flipped the bird? Bryant even seems to try to scare/fake his initial assault of Al.

After being struck, I'd say Al's pretty free to do what he wants...like throw his bike down and try to get that chicken shit out of his car and his jaw on the curb...

ANY OF YOU STILL IN THE UNDERSTANDING THAT BRYANT COULD MURDER AL ARE GOD DAMN MORONS! SCARED FOR HIS LIFE? A BICYCLE (AND CERTAINLY NOT THE HUMAN BODY) WILL NEVER WIN AGAINST CAR! USE YOUR FUCKING HEADS!

ANY OF YOU STILL IN THE UNDERSTANDING THAT BRYANT COULD MURDER AL ARE GOD DAMN MORONS! SCARED FOR HIS LIFE? A BICYCLE (AND CERTAINLY NOT THE HUMAN BODY) WILL NEVER WIN AGAINST CAR! USE YOUR FUCKING HEADS!

Im not sure what you mean, but I may be a moron then. What this video does not show is the actual deadly altercation that happened later. Yes, this video does show Bryant acting criminally, but presumably none of us know what exactly happened during the subsequent altercation. Again, Bryant's defense will likely offer that the cyclist subsequently attacked him, he drove away in fear for his life, and the cyclist hanging off the car and struggling caused the car to veer into the posts and mailbox. This video, in and of itself, would not convince me as a juror that Bryant subsequently "murdered" him.

Um... Are you contradicting yourself? (Or maybe you meant to write 'couldn't' instead of 'could'?) I dunno. Doesn't make sense to me.

• 7 months later...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/05/25/bryant-sheppard-charges943.html

Crown prosecutors have dropped all criminal charges against former Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant stemming from the death of a bicycle courier in downtown Toronto.

Richard Peck, a prosecutor brought in from British Columbia in the case against Bryant, told a Toronto court Tuesday morning there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Add link to CBC News story.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/813872--charges-against-michael-bryant-dropped?bn=1

from the Star:

Peck told court Sheppard’s history of altercations with motorists was relevant in the case.

He outlined six other incidents that came to light after Sheppard’s photograph was published and broadcast, including one in which an elderly woman described Sheppard as a “mad man.â€

Sheppard’s blood alcohol level was measured after his death at 1.83, or more than twice the legal limit for driving.

Peck said four of the previous incidents happened during August 2009. They showed “an escalating cycle of aggressiveness toward motorists,†he said, and corroborate evidence given by Bryant and Abramovitch.

As much as I want to hate on the politician-I'm not completely convinced it was his fault. I remember a few years back, about 3 days after I had started driving I had an incident with a drunk guy on a bike. He was driving towards me in my lane. I had to come to a complete stop, and then he drove around me. But being so hammered me rammed his bike into the side of my car repeatedly, leaving marks. Then he fell off his bike! I was like, 'are you kidding me? is he a scam artist?' I got out of my car to discover how drunk he was (at 3 P.M!). Anyway-like anything-cyclists can be twats just like motorists. I hate being on the road period-car or bike. I find lately too, that pedestrians are out and out jerks. I don't know how many times I've had to hit the breaks because a pedestrian decided to cross when I had the green lights. bah.

Two completely different things there though Booche. Just because the Crown doesn't have enough evidence to proceed doesn't mean Bryant wasn't at fault. It doesn't mean he was at fault either but your quotation doesn't prove anything.

G&M:

CHRISTIE BLATCHFORD TORONTO cblatchford@globeandmail.com Look, it's the right result, but unless you were born yesterday, what Michael Bryant got by way of justice was not the ordinary sort, but the extra-fair sort.

Charges of criminal negligence causing death and dangerous driving causing death against the former Ontario Liberal Party star in the Aug. 31 death last year of cyclist Darcy Sheppard were formally withdrawn at Old City Hall before the matter could proceed to a preliminary hearing or trial.

Mr. Sheppard suffered a fatal head injury as he was dislodged from Mr. Bryant's car, and died later in hospital. He was 33.

What unfolded in Courtroom 121 at Old City Hall in Toronto yesterday was the final carefully handled stage in a case that was exceptional from the get-go.

Curiously, the overriding concern was always that the former Ontario attorney-general would be seen to get preferential treatment because of his high profile and connections.

Thus, the system kicked in with a variety of ostensible safeguards to ensure that didn't happen.

In the result, of course, what Mr. Bryant got was preferential treatment: How ironic is that? An outside special prosecutor, Richard Peck, was brought in from British Columbia to ensure the case was handled independently. Mr.

Peck is one of the best criminal lawyers in the business; he was assisted by another top lawyer, Mark Sandler, who was Mr. Peck's man on the ground in Toronto.

Mr. Bryant's lawyer, the formidable Marie Henein, provided to Mr. Peck and Mr. Sandler disclosure of her "full file." This is practically unheard of.

Defence lawyers who howl like dogs in mid-castration at the slightest delay in prosecutorial disclosure routinely balk at even hinting at their planned strategy, let alone who their witnesses and experts are.

This truth Ms. Henein acknowledged, saying it was unprecedented in her career. She credited it to her unwavering confidence in the strength of her case, but it could also be that this was the first time she had a client who was actually innocent.

Presumably, Ms. Henein had hired a private detective - certainly someone - to dig into the sordid background of Mr. Sheppard and pull together the various accounts of other motorists who came forward after Mr. Bryant was arrested with their own horror stories about frightening encounters with Mr. Sheppard.

Certainly, Mr. Peck said, much of the information uncovered by the continuing investigation came from the defence.

There were, incidentally, a half-dozen of those horror stories, all dating from 2009, four from August that year, and one from earlier the same night Mr. Bryant encountered Mr. Sheppard. In one instance, the motorist had called 911; in another, Mr. Sheppard's terrifying behaviour - he leapt onto the car and had one arm in the open driver's side window - was captured by cameras on a nearby building.

In any case, all of this information went, Ms. Henein said, "to the Crown with no conditions." Materials from defence expert witnesses were also handed over, and were subjected, Mr. Peck said, to "independent review" by Crown experts hired for the occasion. Mr. Sandler and one of the Toronto Police detectives had the opportunity to interview Mr. Bryant and his lawyer wife, Susan Abramovitch, who was in the car with him that night.

Mr. Peck said various forensic experts reviewed aspects of the evidence, including videotapes. Suffice to say it was a thorough review; even the "luminosity" of Mr. Bryant's headlights was noticed and analyzed.

At the end of it all, Mr. Peck said, the Crown had no reasonable chance of convicting Mr. Bryant on either charge, or any lesser one (they looked at that possibility). Mr. Bryant's defence would have been one of justification - he was confronted by an aggressive, increasingly enraged younger man, was terrified for himself and his wife, and panicked, Mr. Sheppard's tragic death the result.

Even Mr. Sheppard's adoptive father, 72-year-old Allan, reluctantly agreed outside the courtroom, that the case shouldn't have gone to trial.

You could have cut the self-satisfaction around Courtroom 121 with a chainsaw. Maybe.

Mr. Peck thanked Ms. Henein for her splendid co-operation and the "extremely able and insightful" Toronto detectives.

He went out of his way to speak kindly about the dead man, noting that he brought up Mr. Sheppard's unlucky background (aboriginal, probably undiagnosed fetal alcohol syndrome, seized by child welfare and placed with his brother David in a staggering 30 foster homes before being adopted) and highlights of his criminal record "not to demonize Mr. Sheppard or for anyone to suggest he somehow deserved his fate," but rather because in a case where self-defence was claimed, these were relevant facts.

He praised the senior Mr. Sheppard, and finished off with a quote from John Donne: "Any man's death diminishes me." Ms. Henein, for her part, praised Mr. Peck and the exhaustive review, "months, days and hours" the prosecutors spent dissecting the evidence. She thanked the police for their "thorough and even-handed investigation." Everyone agreed the charges were appropriate when they were laid, but that now, after all that had been learned since, withdrawing them was also the right thing.

Here's what usually happens: the Crown gets the case if not the night before at best a couple of weeks before, has a quick read, and it goes to a preliminary hearing. There, the evidence is called, although not nearly as thoroughly as it was here, and the Crown might conclude, correctly, that it's a weak case, but odds are he'd let it go to trial. At trial, the average guy probably would be acquitted.

Mr. Bryant said at a press conference later Tuesday that, "Nobody is above the law. But no one's below the law, either." He didn't add that some folks get the old beater version, and some the Saab: T'was ever thus.

*************** "[bryant's driving wasn't a] departure from the standards of a . . .prudent driver faced with the exceptional circumstances presented here." Richard Peck 'I'm not happy with the result; I don't know what would have made me happy.' Allan Sheppard "It is not a morality play about bikes versus cars, couriers versus drivers, or alone about class, privilege or politics." Michael Bryant

G&M:

He went out of his way to speak kindly about the dead man, noting that he brought up Mr. Sheppard's unlucky background (aboriginal, probably undiagnosed fetal alcohol syndrome, seized by child welfare and placed with his brother David in a staggering 30 foster homes before being adopted)

This sentence makes me uncomfortable on so many different levels...