Jambands.ca

Swell Season @ Massey Hall :)

Kanada Kev

We bought the tickets so long ago - I don't remember where we are sitting.

We fell in love with the movie Once - stumbled upon it after reading about it here (Thanks Jaimoe!). We caught them the last time they were in town and we are pumped about tonight as we have been studying the new album and reading about their break-up. Also there was so much comedy at the last show - Glen has some really funny stories and is such an emotional singer - they really are able to take their audience on a ride of emotions.

We've also been playing at a couple of weddings and family events and we do a great version of "Falling Slowly"

Yes, I feel like the luckiest man alive to have found such a sweet and wonderful partner - It's been really great - I can't believe we've been together for 2 years now. The official anniversary is Nov. 20th - but this was my first gift to her for being so wonderful.

see you there!

Another great show by Glen Hansard and The Frames (along with Margeta ) Jay, good to bump into you and Erin in the bar preshow ;) Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Highlight by FAR was Hansard fucking OWNING Van Morrison's ASTRAL WEEKS. Talk about tearing it up up and making it his own. I think i'm still holding my jaw up from that one.

I enjoyed the new material and the different feel of it all. The songs seem much 'heavier' and not so happy/lovey. The spark that was once there between Glen and Margeta is obviously not as magical as when they were in the throes of love. However, they still make for a great duo and their voices fit so well together. I can see the next appearance being simply Glen and The Frames though.

Hey Jaimoe, there were $20 tix outside preshow.

A decent wrap up of the show from the Toronto Sun.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/columnists/jane_stevenson/2009/11/04/11626641-sun.html

Success couldn’t have happened to a seemingly nicer, more talented guy than Glen Hansard.

The Irish singer-songwriter-guitarist toiled away in his respected band The Frames for close to 20 years but only became a household name outside of Ireland after starring in the beloved 2007 indie flick Once opposite Czech singer-pianist Margeta Irglova.

In real-life they became a couple -- despite an 18-year age difference -- won a best song Oscar for Falling Slowly, formed the harmony-heavy indie-folk duo The Swell Season and released an album.

Now the couple, who are no longer dating but are obviously still fond of each other, are touring with The Frames’ four other members as their backup band in support of their just released followup disc, Strict Joy, which came out last week.

Playing to a full house at Massey Hall on Tuesday night, Hansard in particular seemed stoked to be in the same room that has hosted singer-songwriter royalty.

“Massey Hall is the stuff of dreams for people overseas,†he said.

“Especially for any good Neil Young fan,†he added to cheers.

The duo opened the two-hour show rather adorably, just the two of them, down on their knees, and opposite each other -- Irglova on a portable keyboard and a toque-wearing Hansard on acoustic guitar -- singing Fallen From The Sky.

Eventually, Irglova moved over to the piano for Lies and the new song, In Your Arms, before she and Hansard were joined by the Frames for another new tune, Low Rising, to which Hansard cheekily snuck in a little of Marvin Gaye’s Sexual Healing.

It’s easy to see why Irish film-maker (and former Frames bassist) John Carney decided to make Hansard his leading man in Once, given his confidence and ease on stage.

Hansard, a charming, funny and passionate perfomer, practically stole the show during a four-song solo set consisting of Leave, Say It To Me Now, Back Broke, and a stellar cover of Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks -- as he pulled out all the stops, breaking out the big notes, wailing away on his acoustic guitar, and encouraging audience participation.

Irglova had her quieter, more delicate charms too as she took over lead vocals on If You Want Me, and the new songs, Fantasy Man -- which she dedicated to to First Nations women after advising fans to check out the Amnesty International stand in the venue -- and I Have Loved You Wrong, plus a sweet cover of Nico’s The Fairest Of The Seasons on her own during the encore.

In the group setting, song standouts proved to be the new tunes, The Rain, and High Horses, The Moon - during which fans were encouraged to howl -- and When Your Mind’s Made Up.

But when Hansard and Irglova began Falling Slowly, featuring just the two of them again alone on stage during the encore, it seemed to be the intimate moment everyone has been waiting for, and it didn’t disappoint.

---

**** Sun rating: (four out of five)

We really enjoyed that show. I could listen to Glen sing and play guitar all day. He is an amazing performer.

Astral Weeks was great! Last time they came I remember being blown away by Glen covering "Into the Mystic. The dude can play a mean Van Morrison cover.

This is one of those shows that is just meant for Massey. I would like to see Glen solo or with The Frames some time.

Great bumping in to you Kev! I hope you enjoyed your seats. Ours seats were pretty awesome, as well. Sound was superb.