Jambands.ca

The hypocrisy of Jack Layton is only exceeded by his arrogance.

Hux

I agree with this guy:

NDP leader needs to focus on good of country

The Daily News

Published: Thursday, September 10, 2009

The hypocrisy of Jack Layton is only exceeded by his arrogance.

Here is the guy who since 2006 has voted non confidence every time the Tories held a vote that required the confidence of the House.

As recently as last week, he was declaring that he had no intention of voting for anything the government brought forward.

This is until his other left wing buddy Michael Ignatieff took his thunder away by declaring he also was going to vote non confidence.

This will have only one result. Without the Bloc backing the government it is defeated, so both these guys have backed themselves into a corner with their daring, and are now trying to pass the blame to the Conservatives and make them the victim of opposition arrogance.

Jack Layton and the NDP with 16% of the vote seem think that they can push any elected government into the NDP position like they did the Liberals and Paul Martin regardless of the cost to Canadian taxpayers.

When he talks about Stephen Harper being more flexible in his agenda, he means accepting the NDP position. Well, it looks like Harper is prepared to call the bluff of the left-wing parties and let the voter decide who forced an election.

If this comes to pass we will likely end up with another Conservative government and it could be a majority. The NDP will be the big losers as some of those lefties who want more government handouts will go back to the Liberals and once more split the vote but not in Layton's favor.

Layton is never going to be prime minister and is probably assured that he and his wife keep their well paying jobs so why doesn't he cut out the B.S. and work for the good of the country and not his big ego or he may find a lot of his NDP colleagues out of work.

G.D. Gurr

Nanaimo

© The Daily News (Nanaimo) 2009

Yeah? You side on the side of that guy ENTIRELY?

Not me - I'm on the side that Canadian voter ignorance and insolence will call the bluff of said Opposition Arrogance.

Whether Layton speaks before he thinks things through or not hasn't changed my 'probably not NDP, probably not Conservative' semi-formulated vote.

I kinda like the guy, and although NDP representatives tended to be the most polite and collected in televised discussions last election, Layon and the NDPs have a long way to go before they really have ownership of the clout that they tout.

• 2 weeks later...
When he talks about Stephen Harper being more flexible in his agenda, he means accepting the NDP position.

Call me silly, but isn't that his job? The premise feels wonky - Layton is a member of the NDP because he feels that the 'NDP position' *is* for the best of country (we may freely disagree with whether it is or is not, but that's his view). So isn't he, contrary to Gurr's assertions, actually acting in 'the best interest of the country' to the best of his capacity to work with whichever other party (or parties) are most 'flexible' in 'accepting the NDP position'?

What I hear is: waah, the NDP aren't acting like big-L Liberals.

A point that only seems sensible if Gurr was of the belief that the Liberals would be more accepting, which is an opinion that he doesn't seem to hold, unless I am misreading

Jack Layton and the NDP with 16% of the vote seem think that they can push any elected government into the NDP position like they did the Liberals and Paul Martin

The general position makes a lot of sense if you are of the persuasion that Liberal better than NDP better than Conservative. To bring it full circle back to the 'arrogance' of the title, not everyone is of that persuasion. I get that Hux is, so I understand entirely why the article resonates with him. For me, it is all discord.

I don't want to continually rehash old debates, but the groundwork for creating a political arena in which ideas and intentions could co-exist co-operatively was lobbed into the Liberal court many times and they ate the fucking ball. To bitch and moan about the fact that the result of that isn't working in their favour now that they have lost their God-given right to govern as the "Natural Governing Party" exceeds, IMO, whatever hypocrisy and arrogance Layton may possess (and that's saying a lot, because I do agree in general that he has both characteristics).

Let them eat cake.

In January he was all for toppling the government without knowing where the Tories stood, now Layton backs the Tories to save an election...

...Ignatieff would have my vote over Latyon in this instance on this particular issue if there were a vote on which party leader has more balls when it comes down to the wire.

They're going to eat cake whether we want to let them or not.

Edited by Guest
not the thread for my bitchfest.