Jambands.ca

Hold Steady @ Lee's

phishtaper

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be entirely derivative but in terms of rarity or fan favouritism what would be the Hold Steady's

Dark Star?

Help> Slip> Frank?

St. Stephen?

and what would be their

Unbroken Chain?

Not too much that is rare, and I've yet to see/ hear any kind of real segue played.....

Dark Star = Killer Parties

St Stephen = How a Resurrection Really Feels

H>S>F = Massive Nights > Party Pit

Unbroken Chain = 212 Margarita or Citrus

But there really is no comparison that can be made between any of those songs that I can find....

i had fun

for me, Saturday had better energy in the room and I preferred that first nights setlist too

...but last night I had more fun as I ventured a little further into the crowd and didn't feel as sedated as that first night

their songs are growing on me

I like The Hold Steady, but I don't love them...yet

I went to both nights and though they were individually awesome. There wasn't a huge difference between the two in terms of quality and there were a lot of repeats in the setlist. The first night was definitely a little more upbeat but I had a better spot the second night. Was really psyched to hear "Heaven is Whenever," and a little bummed they didn't play 'First Night' or 'Lord, I'm Discouraged."

Once again, I'm disappointed in Toronto from an audience perspective; really tame and unenthusiastic. Other than that, the shows made for a great weekend and I'd see them again in a heartbeat. Their songs are so raw and perfect, stories made to be told live. Craig is a real treat to watch and the lead guitarist was shredding it up.

Hold Steady!!!

Once again, I'm disappointed in Toronto from an audience perspective; really tame and unenthusiastic.

Could have had something to do with the act and its fans although I've heard this about countless shows from folks on here. I say man-up and make the show better yourself instead of joing the drones. I know I've rocked out at countless shows in Toronto where others are doing the Toronto shuffle, my experiences tell me if I'm having a blast, others around me will loosen up.

Once again, I'm disappointed in Toronto from an audience perspective; really tame and unenthusiastic.

I have to completely disagree with this. I have never seen a Toronto crowd more into a show than the Saturday night show. Maybe only up in the front half of the sunken area, but it was violent in there, I think I have bruises from all the failed attempts at bodysurfing around me.

I had an awesome time, I love how much fun the band is always having on stage. I think I liked Sunday better, better crowd and a few songs I was hoping to hear after not hearing them Saturday (Joke about Jamaica, One for the Cutters).

Found the setlists:

Sat. night:

Positive Jam

Magazines

Barfruit Blues

Hurricane J

Sequestered

Multitude

Stevie Nix

Hot Soft Light

Heaven Is Whenever

Chips Ahoy!

Yeah Sapphire

Massive Nights

Party Pit

Slight Discomfort

Southtown

Hoodrat

Goin' On A Hike

Slapped Actress

ENCORE:

Certain Songs

Constructive

Stations

Killer Parties

Sun Night:

Hornets

The Swish

Navy Sheets

Bangin

Our Whole Lives

Magazines

Sequestered

The Cutters

Constructive

Heaven Is Whenever

You Can Make Him Like You

Stations

Chips

Jamaica

Charlemagne

Hurricane J

Explode

Stay Positive

Sweet Payne

ENCORE:

new song (Gideon's Conversion?)

Hoodrat

DJ's

Resurrection

I'm speechless for once. I took a whole day to recover and couldn't listen to any music whatsoever. I thought I was fine until I teared up listening to the footage of 'One For The Cutters' on youtube with it's distinctive harpsichord whorl and Craig's inimitable storytelling.

I'm still blown away. I think Sari had a good feel of the two nights and the setlists. First night was a bit more 'standard' (N.Wish's words) the second night a bit more eclectic and definitely what appealed to the band to play and some bustouts for the deep fans. I definitely was fine with the repeats, the One For The Cutters (with its whurling harpsichord line) was heavy, as was Heaven is Whenever and You Can Make Him Like You. Also as Sari said it was nice to here Joke About Jamaica that was absent from the first night's setlist. N.Wish didn't get his Citrus, 212 Margarita or even a Look Out Cleveland cover but Sunday's Ressurection encore seemed to suffice. Like most bands I'm sure they're most interested in workshopping and playing their new songs. After Sunday's show I had a good chat with Eric Young of opening band Still Life Still (you may recall that Kevin Drew produced their album and they were a cover story in Now Magazine around the time of NXNE) and he said that he definitely noticed being on the tour that the band were serious craftsmen and heavily involved with their music and development.

I wouldn't slag the audience either night, Saturday was definitely way more raucous and likely a third of the audience was Americans some having travelled quite substantially. By Sunday alot of the Americans had to clear out and their was a decidedly older crowd, it took a while to warm up but the Pit was pretty rocking by the end. Notably four dudes ended up shirtless by the end of Sunday night and it seeemed pretty clear someone on the floor at actually shat their pants.