Jambands.ca

phish: play the last record alive

RUSTLE

Sorry but no:

A Tribute to Jack Johnson?

First, sorry but no isn't a very safe statment, just because they say the Hallowe'en set and the acoustic set are independant doesn't mean they won't cover an album for the acoustic set (which I've been thinking as a possibility since the acoustic set was announced). Remember, Dark Side Of The Moon was never played on Hallowe'en.

And of course we all know that Miles Davis did the soundtrack for the doc on the first black heavyweight champion of the world, Jack Johnson.

Sorry but no:

A Tribute to Jack Johnson?

First' date=' sorry but no isn't a very safe statment, just because they say the Hallowe'en set and the acoustic set are independant doesn't mean they won't cover an album for the acoustic set (which I've been thinking as a possibility since the acoustic set was announced). Remember, Dark Side Of The Moon was never played on Hallowe'en.

And of course we all know that Miles Davis did the soundtrack for the doc on the first black heavyweight champion of the world, Jack Johnson.[/quote']

I guess my sorry was more regarding the fact that they announced which set would be the Halloween set, rather than it being a surprise like dancingbear was hoping. I guess it is possible they do another cover album as the acoustic set but my money is on no.

As for the Tribute to Jack Johnson thing, I don't understand what you are saying? I know the album quite well and can't imagine Phish doing it... I think it is basically just a big jam with a lot of focus on the trumpet, that it why I can't imagine Phish doing some weird version.

Edited by Guest

I didn't know the Who's Quadrophenia at all when they played it at the Rosemont Horizon. Didn't make much of a difference. Although I was pretty spun and because of their 'trick or treat' rendition of Beat It in the first set (and Trey saying definitively 'this is the album we're going to play tonight') I spent the first few songs thinking 'I don't remember this on Thriller'.

That said all of their choices White Album, Quadrophenia, Remain In Light (perhaps the best outing ever) and Loaded were very savvy and reflected well on their musical history and musical history in general.

hmmm Devo is touring right now and playing whole albums...they played goldsoundz from pavement crooked rain in 98...

Wishes?

Meddle...wow would that be amazing. eat it DSOTM!

tribute to jack johnson would be a dream come true for me(I alwasys want to hear Miles band without him playing...go ahead, flame away)

Arcade fire would be epic but I almost think it's too new...backnblack would be a mindlbowing rock party!

Either Zappa and I would probably cry or ascend or something ethereal...Television would work - those are very jammable tunes.

ok i'm saying, Pavement(either), Bowie, Floyd(meddle) or Traffic.

Wishes would be Floyd(meddle) Either Zappa or Wowee Zowee.

I hope they don't touch Loveless, that doesn't belong on a stage, it's meant for speakers.

halloween set could mean anything....a really creepy crazy extended mace into bbfcfm with people dressed up on stage. who knows?

I suppose it could mean anything....but have they ever openly talked about doing a cover album set before in interviews before a show, or listed an upcoming set as a "special" set of any kind? I don't think there is anyway that set is anything but an album. And the acoustic set will be a whole bunch of Farmhouse business with a few other songs reworked, maybe a couple covers. If they play American Beauty, I will be very happy to be wrong. :)

they've killed off about a half dozen already...check out http://jamtopia.com/blog/phish-festival-8-cover-album-teaser/#phish-halloween-album-list for an updated list of whats been crossed off

also said on this website is that there will be 8 albums still alive when the festival starts....which sounds like it could be true...and ever so cool

ps - I agree with velvet...it dont matter what they'll play because i know ill be listening to one of my favourite bands with some of my favourite friends in what is sure to turn out to be one of my fave festivals...

they've killed off about a half dozen already...check out http://jamtopia.com/blog/phish-festival-8-cover-album-teaser/#phish-halloween-album-list for an updated list of whats been crossed off

also said on this website is that there will be 8 albums still alive when the festival starts....which sounds like it could be true...and ever so cool

ps - I agree with velvet...it dont matter what they'll play because i know ill be listening to one of my favourite bands with some of my favourite friends in what is sure to turn out to be one of my fave festivals...

Hey -

Saw this post in my referrers and figured I'd pop in to say thanks for the linkage, so, "thanks."

If you all have any feedback or ideas for the site, feel free to drop a line.

Take care,

TL