Jambands.ca

China Celebrates 60th

Kanada Kev

After checking them out & seeing the date, I wondered if you were there actually.

Awesome pictures that for sure.

Although there is something sorta creepy when I see all the military the exact same height (pics #8,9,14,15,16 & 25) - I dunno, maybe it's just me but thats how it made me feel. Great shots regardless.

Well, actually we were about 2km away, watching it live on TV. The average person couldn't get anywhere near the actual parade due to overwhelming security concerns. We did get to see the jets and helicopters go by, though.

I have to go to bed now, but I will relate the story of how China's 60th entirely complicated our Beijing trip tomorrow when I have had coffee.

So... we arrived in Beijing last Friday, and tried to check into our hotel, which was about a five-minute walk from Tiananmen Square. Before we were even at the desk, we had been searched and had our luggage scanned. The clerk at the check-in told us that due to security precautions, we would not be permitted to leave our hotel whatsoever from Sept. 29 through October 1. Naturally, we decided to change hotels; unfortunate, as we had chosen the hotel based on its proximity to the square (not to mention having a surprisingly low rate).

For the rest of the week, we had to go through airport-style luggage scanners every time we got onto the subway. No one was allowed in or out of the central part of the city for a couple of days, and on October 1, all subway transportation passing through the Tiananmen Square area was suspended.

The celebrations began on the 1st around 10 AM, and stopped around 10 PM. The military portion of the parade alone consisted of over 200,000 military personnel, and was followed by the citizens' portion which was even bigger. The only people allowed onto the actual viewing grounds were invited and approved by the CPC; naturally, we weren't among the invitees. From our hotel, we could see the jets and helicopters in their fly-by portion of the parade, and we could hear the fireworks quite clearly. We wanted to get closer to one of the non-partitioned areas to watch the fireworks, but the city was literally jammed in that area. No buses or subways ran to that section, and taxi drivers refused to go near the area. So we had to settle for a TV in a bar.

Otherwise, the trip was great.