Jambands.ca

I have a new hero

Velvet

Military chopper lands for burgers

Last Updated: Friday, October 2, 2009

CBC News

A Canadian military helicopter pilot with a sudden hankering for hamburgers set his aircraft down on a Kenora, Ont., baseball diamond, and walked into an A&W restaurant across the street for a takeout order.

"He ordered four papa burgers with cheese combos and two papa burgers on the side," server Stacey Hawes told CBC News on Thursday.

The pilot was nice and polite, and made it seem as if he was just driving a regular car, she added.

Laura Madison was in her house in Kenora when she heard the whirring noise of the helicopter blades just down the street. When she looked out her window, she couldn't believe her eyes.

"It's a huge double-door … helicopter, which you don't see landing in the middle of town every day," Madison said. "He went in and got some A&W takeout and took off. So we're laughing because it was the strangest drive-thru we've ever seen."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/02/kenora-helicopter002.html

has anyone here had a Papa Burger? A&W has the weirdest burger names.

Teen Burger

Mama Burger

papa Burger

Uncle Burger

baby burger

grandpa burger

Mozza Burger

I have to point out that that A&W's were originally drive-IN's, not Drive-THRU's. Get it right editor of the article!

FYI, there is an A&W near my house and I had a teen burger there yesterday. Good burger, but overpriced.

Edited by Guest

I guess when your stopping in Kenora for food while flying a helicopter you can't be to picky where you eat, especially when it comes to parking. 028ws9.gif

I have to point out that that A&W's were originally drive-IN's, not Drive-THRU's. Get it right editor of the article!

Well, if the article had been speaking of the original style A&Ws I suppose you would be correct, but the article is quoting the resident that lived nearby the current A&W. ;)

My ex flew choppers for awhile- according to her, the simple takeoff and landing of a small one costs about $50 in fuel. She reckons its $100-$200 extra for one of these military sized birds to make a quick stop. Did we the taxpayer buy the burgers too- or are we the suckers just footing the gas and maintenance bills for these guys to fly out for fast food?

Guess we owe these cavalrymen thanks for pointing out what a bloated military industrial complex Canada is building. Thanks Harper!

extent of my inside knowledge: if you want to learn to fly a chopper- might as well sign up for the army - cause as a civilian it'll cost you tens of thousands in fuel costs alone just to get your training hours.

True dat. My girlfriend in high school was a registered pilot and she got paid to take the training though Cadets. From what I saw Cadets was fairly unlame, and she was the only pilot at our school!

My ex flew choppers for awhile- according to her, the simple takeoff and landing of a small one costs about $50 in fuel. She reckons its $100-$200 extra for one of these military sized birds to make a quick stop. Did we the taxpayer buy the burgers too- or are we the suckers just footing the gas and maintenance bills for these guys to fly out for fast food?

Guess we owe these cavalrymen thanks for pointing out what a bloated military industrial complex Canada is building. Thanks Harper!

I understand what your saying, my brother is in the British airforce and works as an aircraft mechanic on the hercs, fighters & occasionally choppers and he's filled me manytimes on cost & amount of fuel they go through. But to be honest, as a taxpayer I'd much rather be paying the bill for the burgers and fuel burned by the folks who volunteer their lives to protect our country then the hundreds of thousand dollars our politicans see fit to spend waste on themselves.