Jambands.ca

Hockey Eras according to Eklund.

rubberdinghy

I'm part of the Gretzky/Lemieux era. Grew up lovin hockey more than ever during these years...

This question came up tonight, and argued that this current era, what I will call the "Post-Lockout Era" will be remembered among the greatest NHL eras of all-time. This Era, in my opinion, is unquestionably the most star-studded Era the NHL has ever known. Due to the new rules the Hockey is better than ever as well. Here are my definitions of the

#1. The Original Six Era (pre-1967):

Of course, this is the era that gave birth to many of the legends of our game and helped bring hockey to the forefront of the international sports scene. This era was highlighted by toughness and GREAT goaltending.

This was the era of Howe, Hull, Plante, Sawchuk, and Harvey.

#2. The Bobby Orr aka Broad Street Bullies Era (1967-1976):

This era was largely defined by the 6 new teams but will forever be remembered for the introduction of intimidation and rough play that won the Flyers two Stanley Cups and had the rest of the hockey world fearing that the world had come to an end. However, that wasn't the only change to the scenery. This was the era that changed the game forever because of Bobby Orr who turned loose the offensive defenseman and redefined the position for all who followed.

This was the era of: Orr, Parent, Esposito, Mikita, Clarke, Hull, and Schultz

#3. The Gretzky/Lemieux Era aka The Era of Offense and the Dynasty (1977-1993)

For the 16 years of this Era the Stanley Cup was one only won by 6 different teams, and only the Calgary Flames and NY Rangers won the Cup a Single time. From 1977-1992 The Canadiens won the Cup 6 times (4 in a row), The Oilers won the Cup 5 times in 7 years, the Islanders won the Cup 4 years in a row, and the Penguins won it back to back years as well. As Orr redefined the defenseman in the era before, Gretzky and Lemieux took the role of first-line center to another level in these 16 seasons.

This was the era of: Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Lafleur, Dryden, Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Lemieux and Coffey, Hawerchuk

#4. The Brodeur Era aka The Era of the Trap and the Clutch and Grab (1994-the Lockout)

This was the era of the NJ Devils and the shut down D. The natural backlash from the 200 point a year players in the previous. If the eras are to be defined to be about some specific aspect of our game, this was the era where teams learned to protect leads. This is the era of the stat, "The teams is 62 and 3 when leading going into the third period." This was the Brodeur Era and the Devils showed young teams how to hang with the speedy teams through counter attacking off of the trap. Easy to say, hard to do.

This was the era of: Brodeur, Roy, Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, Sundin, Modano, Lindros, Pronger, Stevens and Niedermayer.

#5. The Crosby/Ovechkin Era aka The Post Lockout Era.

Why I love this era so much is that in my opinion the other Eras were all about preparing us. With the Original Six we learned hoe to play Goal, In the 70s we learned how to be a puck-moving defenseman and beat the crap out of a team if we needed to. In the 80s we learned amazing offensive creativity. In the 90s we learned how to play defense.

So that being said, I feel like this is the Era where we are putting all of those skills together into one great hockey game after another. That is why this will be remembered as the greatest era of all time.

This is the era of: Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Getzlaf, Iginla, Richards, Luongo, and more...