Jambands.ca

Joel Robuchon - Las Vegas

Ms.Huxtable

we had to take the time. some of these tasting items were actually 3 items on a plate so there was way more food coming at us than expected. the manager told us that we could take our time, and that the table was ours for the evening.

if you watch the episode of top chef where the main challenge is to cook for Joel at his restaurant in vegas, you can see our booth at the far end of the shot (beside the big vase) when they are being seated.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too! Maybe they couldn't afford buying booze as well as the dinner!!!

In my case, I would have been afraid of drinking too much while eating, and then puking all that food when I got back to the hotel room! Now that is money down the drain!!

Mike and Sharon, did you read the Gordon Ramsey book? He spends a few pages writing about working for Joel. I can lend you the book if you didn't read it.

Everything looks amazing, but I couldn't help but think that there was a glaring omission from the review...

...WINE?!?! What did you drink with all this wonderful stuff???

José, the famous spanish writer from El Mundo who got us a table told us that we had to do the tasting menu with the wine pairing. I asked, but the sommelier informed me that they hadn't completed the wine pairing design yet with the new menu. We were given a complementary bottle of champaign (no idea what it was called), and we only needed one bottle of red after that, and lots of sparkling water (for reasons that Cosmic mentioned). It was a big meal and lots of wine would have taken over. So we ordered a Merlot by Bouchards Pere et Fils (for the namesake). It was good stuff and easy to find here. The night before at L'Atelier, we ordered the most expensive wine I've ever ordered. It was more expensive than most pricey meal bills that I've had. I don't know what it was called, but it was amazing. Ms.Hux can fill the name in.

Mike and Sharon, did you read the Gordon Ramsey book? He spends a few pages writing about working for Joel. I can lend you the book if you didn't read it.

Yes, in fact I had hit that chapter during the planning phase of the trip and discovered his restaurants were in the MGM Grand where we were staying. I booked us seats at L'Atelier right away. I never dreamed that we'd get to experience both places.

• 2 weeks later...