Jambands.ca

6-year-old boy floats away in homemade balloon aircraft

ollie

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/10/15/trapped-balloon-child.html

A six-year-old Colorado boy who was originally thought to have been on board an experimental homemade balloon has been found alive at his home.

He had been hiding out in a box in the attic of the garage, according to investigators

The boy was initially thought to have climbed into the basket of the silver balloon and released its anchor rope in the backyard of his family's Fort Collins, Colo., home.

Aloha,

Brad

This whole saga is, in my opinion, a terrific illustration of what's wrong with how we get our news. 24-news channels and websites have to consistently fill up 24 hours' worth of programming, regardless of what is happening in the world. As the market becomes more and more saturated they have to compete harder and harder to get our attention. Thus, when something like this happens - something that, two hours later became a complete non-story - it becomes a massively overblown lead story and works to hold our attention (and ratings) for just long enough until they can entertain us with the next story to come along. 24 hour news makes us numb and dumb.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I haven't checked cnn.com in over an hour.