Jambands.ca

Dakota Sunday night? (The Beauties)

zero

The Beauties are the newest band on Six Shooter. They were the house band last week for the Six Shooter showcase at the Capital here in Ottawa. They did a solid job backing up the entire roster and their own tunes were really good too. They'd be great at the Dakota! I remember at least one of those low-down drinkin tunes that would fit in well on one of Esau's mix tapes. Others are more fast paced and light.

These guys destroyed last night. It was one of the owners birthdays so The Beauties played two full sets including a couple of songs with Kathleen Edwards and her guitarist David Baxter. A number of other guests sat in and by the end of the show there was a flugelhorn and trumpet player improvising on the tunes. Then presuming the lengthy show was over they played a full third set including Maggie May (for Maggie the Birthday girl complete with mandolin solo), I'm Waiting For My Man, and a blistering Where Is My Mind with a Night They Drove Old Dixie Down closer. Easily 3.5 hrs. of playing time.

The whole band kills but in particular the drummer is a monster of the Keith Moon variety but sings like an angel. Clearly the standout in the group- even Jimmy Shaw from Metric who showed up late was entranced by him.

My friend Derek Downham plays with The Beauties ... if he's with them, they must be pretty goddamn awesome.

Derek's a friend of mine too...I hadn't seen him for years but we both ended up on the same festival this past summer in Salmon Arm BC (I was with Lee Harvey Osmond and he was subbing in Elliot Brood) and had a blast catching up with him. Killer dude. I knows he's played a few roles in the Beauties (I think he started as the piano player?) but I'm almost certain he's been their drummer now for a long time. So this drum you speak of, zero, that's Derek.

The Dakota is a bad ass joint, an awesome place to hang out and play. I have a record coming out with my band Huron and we're playing Wednesdays there in November, beginning next week on the 4th.