Jambands.ca

So I just bought JOY on vinyl....

Prost

...and needless to say, I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong the music sounds great - as it should on vinyl. What pisses me off is that it's pressed on two 180g records but only contains three sides of music. If it's a so-called 'Limited Edition' why not add extra tracks on the D side instead of an etched phish logo that plays no music! What the hell am I going to do with that? Look at it? Everytime I look at it I wish I was listening to it. Why not add a couple of tracks from 'Party Time' - Alaska would have been great to hear on vinyl. I'm glad that I bought it at the store and didn't order it online. I would have be even more upset if I paid for all of the shipping costs and then received a three sided album!

I've seen a couple of three-sided albums, though I can't remember what either was now. One had a design on the 4th side (was it Ugly Casanova?) and the other had the groove in the 4th side spiralling backward, so the needle would just jump out of it.

I thought both were uber-cool ideas, so I think I'd be happy with three sides of Phish. Actually, I may just order it now!

Monty Python once put out a 3-sided vinyl... It was on one record though...
Haha yeah but at least that one played in two different directions

That's The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief record.

The album's original LP edition (on Charisma Records in the U.K., catalog no. CAS 1080, released 1973, and on Arista Records in the U.S., catalog no. AL 4039, released 1975) is particularly notable in that it was mastered with two parallel grooves on side two, so that different material would be played depending on where the stylus was put down on the record's surface. For this reason it is sometimes referred to as a "three-sided" record. The cutting was carried out by George "Porky" Peckham. To further confuse the listener, both sides of the LP are labelled "FREE RECORD Given away with the Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief - Side 2" - only the matrix numbers identify which are the first and second sides.

Aloha,

Brad