Jambands.ca

RC: Metallica

phorbesie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom passed away yesterday in the morning after a long illness.

The question remained, do I go to the Metallica show tonight, or do I eat my ticket and stay with my family?

I remembered that my mom had bought the "Binge & Purge" box set for me for Christmas many years ago.

She would have wanted me to go, so I did.

"Fade to Black" was very cathartic for me.

So very sorry to hear about your loss Dave. I am happy you decided to go to the concert. Fade To Black has been rare on this tour and I thought it was one of the highlights.

Overall that might have been the best Metallica *show* I've seen. I wasn't gaga over the setlist but the energy and playing was awesome.

My personal favourite song of the night was the Motorbreath encore. Holy fuck was that ever awesome.

About three songs in phorbesie and I stood up and were rockin' out when the girl behind us said we should sit down. "Nobody can see," is what she said, adding, "I paid for these seats."

I leaned in and very politely said, "We'll be up and down for the whole show, I suggest you talk to security. If they ask us to remain seated we'll be happy to do so."

We never heard from her again and they left before the encore.

I had a good time but I'm not sure I'll shell out the cash for Metallica again. I'm too passive of a fan to get interested in anything but their hits, which I've heard every time I've seen them of course, and they are just a teensy tiny bit cheesy.

I was pretty interested in hearing Lamb Of God but I was disappointed with the sound and very surprised at how lame their drummer was. I wouldn't mind seeing them again in a better sounding room.

only in ottawa. :eye roll:

i did not enjoy this metallica show nearly as much as my last one, but maybe i'm just getting old ;)

they seemed a lot cheesier. my highlights were master of puppets, nothing else matters...

i would not pay to see them again soon though.

should have been on the floor for sure though.

I chatted with Denis for a long time on the evening of the Cockburn performance at Folk Fest. As the media liason for the day (and he was bored as hell) he was listening to what I had so say. I asked him about the reviews that are either incomplete or erroneous. He went a shade of red, but then complained that "its part of the job".... that the press times for the Sun do not allow him ample time to completely watch shows, or even edit his work enough to avoid errors. He said sometimes he picks setlists from the previous show to fill out his notes, assuming the same stuff will be played- and said that more than 90% of the time its correct.

Basically he is on site at the show, but that press times are usually around 10pm- and he has to file his story at least a half hour before that.

You will ntice that reviews from nights of hockey games are more complete as the presses are held to get the hockey results into the paper, this also happens with lotto results from time to time.

Not saying he is perfect, but the system doesn't allow him to strive for that.

S

Not saying he is perfect, but the system doesn't allow him to strive for that.

I completely understand the limitations he's working with but that's still no excuse for the errors I pointed out. If he's been burned in the past by assuming setlists then he should just stop doing it.

Or, ideally, the paper should just run the print review a day late and publish the online review in the morning, giving the reviewer more time to edit the piece.

Not saying he is perfect' date=' but the system doesn't allow him to strive for that.[/quote']

Or, ideally, the paper should just run the print review a day late and publish the online review in the morning, giving the reviewer more time to edit the piece.

The paper industry is a strike while the iron is hot type of business. If they can't print it the day after, and drive single copy sales (those in stores etc.) than they won't bother.

Good ongoing features, hockey coverage etc. sells subscriptions

Daily blast features like concert reviews, the latest celebrity gossip- the kind of stuff you see on the front page banner sells single copies.

Journalism comes down to tweets. All one has to do is stay home and follow a metallica twitter feed and write about that.

for example,

ROCKERBYDEFAULT Tweeted that "HOLYFUCKINGSHIT they ROCKED!! ottawa crowd's a bit dead but it was still an amazing experience :)"

Setlist according to OneMasterForAll who tweeted:

That Was Just Your Life

The End Of The Line

Creeping Death

Fuel

Fade To Black

Broken, Beat And Scarred

Cyanide

Sad But True

One

All Nightmare Long

The Day That Never Comes

Master Of Puppets

Battery

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

- - - - - - - -

Last Caress

Motorbreat h

Seek and Destroy

Daily blast features like concert reviews, the latest celebrity gossip- the kind of stuff you see on the front page banner sells single copies.

You can still do the daily blast with pictures and a few lines about the show to fill space and then add something like this at the end: "Pick up tomorrow's copy of the Ottawa Sun to read Denis Armstrong's full review"... or even "Read Denis Armstrong's full review online at..."