Jambands.ca

RC: Metallica

phorbesie

Metal fan Ruutu leads fellow Senators to Metallica concert

About half of the Ottawa Senators went to the Metallica concert on Tuesday night, led by one of the heavy-metal band’s biggest fans, Jarkko Ruutu.

He “fell in love†with the band when he was in school in the early ’80s and has seen them in concert probably 10 times since. It helped that Ruutu was high-school classmates with another noted heavy-metal fan, former NHL defenceman Janne Niinimaa, who owns a concert hall in Oulu, Finland. Twisted Sister was the first of numerous heavy-metal bands to play there.

So what is it with Finns and their love of heavy metal? Ruutu is not sure.

“Finland is a metal country, big time,†he said. “A lot of bands come there because they sell out right away, every year. People just like it. I guess it’s the darkness in it. I don’t know.

“I think it’s the rhythm. I don’t think they listen to the words that much.

“And now there’s a lot of good metal bands coming from Finland, so it’s kind of a tradition there. I don’t know. Something dark.â€

Among the other players at the show was Mike Fisher, whose girlfriend, country star Carrie Underwood, was in town last weekend. So it doesn’t take much to guess his No. 1 choice in music.

“It’ll be a good show,†Fisher said, “but I prefer country.â€

Coach Cory Clouston, who admitted to being a fan of KISS, said he enjoys Metallica and would normally go to one of their concerts, but he said he’d be staying home, keeping a low profile.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the ushers were at every door (at least at the front) handing out cards with a download code. If the show doesn't make its way to your computer another way let me know ollie and I'll post it here or something.

Thanks dude! I e-mailed LiveMetallica.com and they told me I could go back to ScotiaBank Place, show them my stub and they would give me a passcode, but it's a little bit out of the way.

Listening to the recording reminded me of something that really didn't sit right at the show. That was the pre-recorded intro to Battery. I think it's one of the greatest hard rock song beginnings and that they only came in after the epicness was disappointing. But the rest of it was wicked.

Listening to the recording reminded me of something that really didn't sit right at the show. That was the pre-recorded intro to Battery. I think it's one of the greatest hard rock song beginnings and that they only came in after the epicness was disappointing. But the rest of it was wicked.

Good point. They also did the "canned intro" for a couple of other tunes (e.g. "That Was Just Your Life"). Pretty cheesy.

Apparently though, this was the first time James Hetfield played both an acoustic and electric guitar on Fade To Black since 1986!!

• 1 month later...

Just listening to the recordings of this show, and of the show they played here in October of 2004.

Lars at the end of the 2004 show: "I know I'm not the only one in this fuckin' building who thinks that Metallica should come around here a little more often than every seven fuckin' years!:

Lars at the end of the 2009 show: "Am I the only one in this building who thinks that Metallica should come to Ottawa a little more often than every five fucking years?"

Lars at the end of the 2004 show: "I know I'm not the only one in this fuckin' building who thinks that Metallica should come around here a little more often than every seven fuckin' years!:

Lars at the end of the 2009 show: "Am I the only one in this building who thinks that Metallica should come to Ottawa a little more often than every five fucking years?"

He's not quite as sure of himself anymore is he?