Jambands.ca

Toronto Awarded 2015 Pan Am Games

bouche

Congrats TO!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jjkxFXb4ghp5E6_zFLzpi-n4JRYAD9BQAG3G0

The Pan American Sports Organization awarded the games in a secret vote on Friday with Toronto receiving 33 votes to win on the first ballot.

Stephen Page, formerly of the Barenaked Ladies predicted the win via Twitter because the song for the bid was "freaking awesome". He tweeted:

Who wrote the theme song for Toronto's PanAm bid? It's freaking awesome and will clinch the games single-handedly.

I like that some of the regions of the Golden Horseshoe will get well needed and deserved mass transit infrastructure and Canada will benefit with a few new athletics facilities - Toronto's mostly disgraceful waterfront will get some positive construction boosts for a change - but it will be difficult getting enthused about travelling/commuting quite lengthy distances to get to the events. Barrie, Oshawa, Markham, Scarborough (in a depressing part of the borough), Hamilton, to name a few, are all hosting key events, but they aren't centrally located nor close to one another either: I don't know that I'll be jumping on a GO Train to see Bolt run at the new track in Hamilton. But then again, it is the Pan Am games, where the only events I care about are track and field (with the US, Cuba and Jamaica), baseball, boxing (Cuba, US and Canada) and soccer.

It'll be interesting to see how Toronto and the governments will spin the upcoming logical mess these games will pose.

Welcome to the commuter/urban sprawl games.

I haven't read up on it yet but I believe this may mean a new stadium for the Hamilton Tiger Cats.. I have mixed emotions about that. Ivor Wynne is a dump but it is a lovable dump!

Yes, Hamilton will be getting a 15,000 seat track and field stadium (and velodrome) that will be converted after the games as a new home to the Ticats.

One good thing about the new stadium is that it will be located very close to downtown. But personally, I don't like football played on track fields since they push the seating back.

I haven't read up on it yet but I believe this may mean a new stadium for the Hamilton Tiger Cats.. I have mixed emotions about that. Ivor Wynne is a dump but it is a lovable dump!

Yep, in the Spec today they had a pic (model?) of the new stadium and supposedly the Ticats will start playing there after the games.

Seems nothing has been finalized as for exact location from my understanding, but west harbour area for the velodrome, the stadium & 50 metre pool. Which I would guess is the McMaster University area from the sounds of it (makes sense really) - so not really any closer to the downtown core then Ivor Wynne, just in the west end instead of east. I'm not 100% on that, just going from what the paper is suggesting.

Ok, reading the online stuff from last february seems to provide some better detail concerning location, it would be a lot closer to the downtown core if it goes in the proposed area - The Tiffany Block - 10 minute walk from the Caroline & Hess apparently.

Spec today >> http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/668365

Spec article from feb. >> http://www.thespec.com/article/516999

Edited by Guest

LOL very nice Bouche! Thanks for the info Greg, pretty exciting! But again, it will be a sad day when Ivor Wynne closes its doors. such an icon of our city's identity. I doubt there is any other stadium in all of professional football where the fans are so close to the field.