Jambands.ca

Job ad: Grateful Dead Archivist

Big Wooly Mammoth

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ

Grateful Dead Archivist

The University Library of the University of California, Santa Cruz, seeks an enterprising, creative, and service-oriented archivist to join the staff of Special Collections & Archives (SC&A) as Archivist for the Grateful Dead Archive. This is a potential career status position. The Archivist will be part of a dynamic, collegial, and highly motivated department dedicated to building, preserving, promoting, and providing maximum access both physically and virtually to one of the Library's most exciting and unique collections, The Grateful Dead Archive (GDA). The UCSC University Library utilizes innovative approaches to allow the discovery, use, management, and sharing of information in support of research, teaching, and learning.

Under the general direction of the Head of Special Collections and Archives, the GDA Archivist will provide managerial and curatorial oversight of the Grateful Dead Archive, plan for and oversee the physical and digital processing of Archives related material, and promote the GDA to the public and facilitate its use by scholars, fans, and students

http://www.higheredjobs.com/details.cfm?JobCode=175401318

Here's an excerpt from my cover letter:

"please be advised that my acceptance of this position is conditional on your agreement that no pre-1976 Grateful Dead shows will be released until there are no remaning recordings of live concerts performed between 1977-1980. I look forward to your response."

A guy I knew in Saint John made mad claims about him losing out on the real Archivist job to David Lemieux a long while back.

He did have the most complete collection I have ever seen (20+ 400 cd binders of all Grateful Dead and related, all backed up on DAT), but always wondered if he was full of shit.

I am interested to see if he applies......