Jambands.ca

Olympiclog?

Velvet

Update: We’ve made it into the top 50 with only three voting days left!!! I’ve been meticulously tracking voting trends over the last few days and I’m pretty confident that if my posse keeps up the voting melee then I’m gonna make the cut! My only real concern is there are a couple of people who posted their stories yesterday and have already zoomed by me in votes. If three or four more newbies go viral like that I could be in trouble.

I implore you all to keep casting votes, especially over the weekend when voting tends to drop off pretty dramatically. The contest closes on Sunday night at midnight, so come Monday morning this will all seem like it was just a (journalism) dream.

Thanks so much everyone, please keep ‘em coming!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you guys sooo much!!!

Only today and tomorrow left for voting. I'm on pins and needles. I can't wait to get home from Syracuse tomorrow night (aka wee hours of Monday morning) and do the final vote tally.

Fingers crossed, and thank you all again for the kind encouragement!

Don't forget to vote again tomorrow, and then feel free to forget all about it once and for all!

Thanks a zillion Sharon, I really appreciate you dedication!!!!

I haven’t given an update lately because I didn’t want to jinx myself. Anyway, all your voting has had me moving up every day until Friday night when I hit #40!!!! I was getting pretty cocky but a quick perusal of the site today shows that I’m losing ground on the final weekend. I think I’m still in the top 45 but I’m not sure I’ll hold the top 50 come midnight tonight. There are several people who are right now less than ten votes behind me.

If you have a second to make a last minute vote I sure would appreciate it!!!!! I think this is gonna come down to just a handful of votes to make it or break it.

Thanks everyone, and happy Sunday!

Phew indeed!

Nothing official, but going through and counting votes it looks like I made it!!!! (streamers and confetti) By my count I made 41st place, so even if road fatigue and beer is factored in I probably still made the top 50, and I have y’all to thank!!!!

I ended up with 417 votes and if I had received about 30 less votes I wouldn’t have made the cut, and boy man, did you guys deliver more than 30 votes.

Now the really scary part – finding out whether or not a panel of journalists thinks I can write or not.

Thank you all so very, very much. This actually meant a lot to me and I appreciate that you, my friends, made the effort to vote and show support. You’re truely lovely people.

Unofficial congratulations also to hart who (by my calculations) finished in 39th spot! Woo-hoo for SKANK POWER!

Phew indeed!

Nothing official, but going through and counting votes it looks like I made it!!!! (streamers and confetti) By my count I made 41st place, so even if road fatigue and beer is factored in I probably still made the top 50, and I have y’all to thank!!!!

I ended up with 417 votes and if I had received about 30 less votes I wouldn’t have made the cut, and boy man, did you guys deliver more than 30 votes.

Now the really scary part – finding out whether or not a panel of journalists thinks I can write or not.

Thank you all so very, very much. This actually meant a lot to me and I appreciate that you, my friends, made the effort to vote and show support. You’re truely lovely people.

Unofficial congratulations also to hart who (by my calculations) finished in 39th spot! Woo-hoo for SKANK POWER!

Fantastic news!! Congrats to both you and Hart and best of luck as the contest progresses.

Wowswers.

I think Ms. Zimmy was the last to try to vote as I ended up with 429.

Of course this news sent me into a frantic recount, and when I got halfway done the recount they took the vote numbers down, so now I have to play the waiting game I guess.

I feel fairly sfe, in that I noticed at least one person had passed me since I counted last night, but I also passed one person.

I do wish that it was over at midnight last night - I'm not very good at the waiting game.

I will certainly post here if I get any official word.

• 1 month later...

My friends, I would like to thank you immensely for helping me with this little project. It meant a great deal to me, both the contest and all of your support.

I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that it paid off. I didn't take the top spot, which frankly I was realllly pulling for, but I did make 6th, which aside from a shiny new laptop, gives me a huge boost of confidence.

With this acknowledgement I'm gonna take the writing thing more seriously. This will not be the last time my writing appears in the paper.

Again, thank-you. This would not have happened without the sanctuary.

http://journalismdream.theglobeandmail.com/top10_article.asp