Jambands.ca

Mac geeks, helps (Bouche???)

d_rawk

So I'm in a bind. You'd think my google skills would be better, but apparently not (probably going to trigger a wave [pun] of Google wave jokes)

So on my Macbook Pro, I have somehow touched something that I shouldn't have. I've had this thing for a long while, and this has never happened. But it is scrolling all over the place in co-ordination with my trackpad movements, and I really can't deal with it. And I'm trying to find something via the web or system preferences, but it is making it very hard to even do those things because every time I try to move the mouse, the screen scrolls to follow it.

Please help me. Oh, good lord, please help me. Bouche!! I need you buddy!

Try taking your Macbook Pro for a car ride.

Seriously, that is what the lady at the mac store in Windsor told studog last week. He got a full OS update.. whatever that invloved. It was working when he picked it up and when he got back to Chatham it didn't work. She suggested he take his iMac for another car ride because sometimes that is the best idea.

Yeah, here's what I've figured out:

System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Under 'Two Fingers' (gawd, I can feel the jokes coming) and next to 'Screen Zoom' -> Options -> change 'When zoomed in, the screen images moves' from 'Continuously with pointer' to 'Only when the pointer reaches an edge'.

And since my preferences are set to 'Zoom while holding Control', I suspect this means that a cat sitting on the keyboard (a common problem around here, which causes a lot of very confusing instant messages for people) has crushed my control key.

under system preferences -> keyboard & mouse -> Keyboard shortcuts it has a list of all the keyboard short cuts you may be able to assign the control key to something else. Are you sure its the control button thats busted? If you hold the control button and left click it should bring up the drop down menu like if you right clicked on something. One more thing to try would be holding down the "fn" button at the same time as control. The "fn" button is for secondary functions that are assigned to the same button.

Ahhhh .. something is wrong here. I keep trying to do what you suggested, but it won't stick .. every time I turn off 'zoom', it stays on. And I'm trying to find the proper resolution for the screen (which seems to have changed) and while I think I have, it still wants to scroll.

This is all rather bizarre for a guy who is usually running support for other people with computer problems. I suppose you can't change platforms without expecting this sort of thing, but like I say, I've had this thing for awhile.

Someone who is like a 100% mac guy needs to come over and sort this shit out for me, stat. This is killing me .. I need to work!!

I assume you ignored my advice, skank_rock?

Didn't ignore, but lost my license. Well, left it in a taxi actually and didn't replace it .. kind of a long story. I'd take it for a car ride, even just for the whoot of it, if I could without putting myself in danger of incarceration. And if I still had a car. Wow. Are you trying to kill me? ;)

Did you sort this out yet?

I just read this post and the only thing I know of is the screen zoom feature. I don't have a trackpad, but I my mouse preferences have an option for screen zooming which I'm sure you've somehow triggered.

Here's a grab of my mouse prefs. open up your prefs and type "zoom" into the search box. It'll highlight all of the preference panels that affect zoom. I'm sure you'll find the answer in one of those.

Funny thing is that if we were talking PC, anyone of us could remote in and help you out. But with apple, ya gotta pay shit.

Funny thing is that if we were talking PC, anyone of us could remote in and help you out. But with apple, ya gotta pay shit.

[color:purple]

Genius

Apple has done such a good marketing job creating a "culture" around their products. They have also created a "fashion" and "holier-than-thou" element ;)

Edited by Guest

I agree Kev. It's too bad Apple, and some of the Mac userbase (no one here), act like their shit don't stink, because I think it turns more people off the product. Of course no computer is going to be 100% hassle free.

But Mac's do boast a very pretty and streamlined design and the fact that the same company makes the hardware and software means they are very well engineered.

The MacBook is getting close to the $999 consumer sweet spot and I think that will make them an extremely viable option for a large segment of the laptop market. Not to mention that the iMac with it's beautiful monitor at $1299 should be attractive to the desktop crowd. I remember paying close to $1500 for my first PC, a 386!

I'm hoping that a significant increase in market share will allow Apple to drop a bit of the "us against them" approach. It's time for Mac to stand on its own merits.

Sorry for the de-rail d_rawk, and I hope you get your problem solved soon, if you haven't already.

[color:#CCCCCC]Posted from a Mac!