Jambands.ca

Phish - Syracuse

Prost

The Canadian border cop lady asked me on the way back, "What kind of music does Phish play?" "Rock music," we say. "They seem to draw a pretty wide range of people," she says, and she asked several more questions, seemingly perplexed as to why she was previously unaware of the band. She did say she thought she had heard of them, but I think she was lying.

It was an odd and social border crossing.

yes she was odd. She asked us were we went. We said syracuse. she said let me guess phish. We said yes. Have a nice day. Home by 3 :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canadian border cop lady asked me on the way back, "What kind of music does Phish play?" "Rock music," we say. "They seem to draw a pretty wide range of people," she says, and she asked several more questions, seemingly perplexed as to why she was previously unaware of the band. She did say she thought she had heard of them, but I think she was lying.

It was an odd and social border crossing.

I had a pretty funny interaction with a guard at that crossing (1,000 Islands, I assume) coming back from Bonnaroo in 2003 with two buddies in a van with me.

-Where are you comign from?

-Manchester, Tennessee.

-What was going on down there?

-A music festival.

-What kind of festival?

-Well, rock and roll, I guess.

-Yeah, but who was there.

-Oh, well, let me see. Neil Young...uuhhh...Ben Harper, the surviving members of the Grateful De-

-Stop right there...(long pause)...were there a lot of drugs at the festival?

-Yes sir, there were.

-Did you leave them all there?

-Yes sir, we did.

-Have a nice day.

I had a pretty funny interaction with a guard at that crossing (1,000 Islands, I assume)....

I had an annoying one at the same crossing earlier this summer coming back from NYC after Saratoga Springs. I'm always very polite and look as clean-cut as possible.

"What were you doing on your trip?"

"I came down to visit a few friends and see a few concerts, Sir."

"Who'd you see?"

"A band called Phish."

"Pull over there, someone will be with you shortly."

"Gotcha."

WOW.

Just got home so this is going to be scattered at best, I need a nap.

We were going "to a rock concert in Syracuse". No further questions. On the way home same thing, but got the "what band?" question as well.

Phish were staying in our hotel, a couple of my fellow travellers got pics with Page pre show in the hotel.

16748_345632020132_810210132_9865112_7810254_s.jpg16748_345632025132_810210132_9865113_8341454_s.jpg

8 minute walk from the hotel to the venue.

Minimal sketch factor in the lots. Didn't see even one tank, but I wasn't cruising too much.

Lax, but competent security. From the stands to the floor was a very easy move, infact ticket checking was almost non existent. But the ushers kept people from infiltrating the seats. We were 3rd row center and had our space the whole time.

Great to see Freak by Night and spend some time relaxing pre show.

Also saw Rossolee, Pete (our hotel rooms were side by side- weird), RobL, Cully, Prost, Jakis, Velvet and Phorbesie thoughout the evening. Everyone seemed to be having quite a nice time.

Not sure what it looked like to everyone else- but Trey was shredding at points and looked possessed about it. During the burning down the house final three songs I gained a new appreciation for some songs that had grown stale for me: Zero, 1st Tube, GTBT. Im sure the soundboard will reveal the flaws, and my drinking without other aids surely reduced my ability to pick out those sour notes- but from these eyes last night it was all very very good from Trey.

16748_345632155132_810210132_9865130_5512265_n.jpg

Not much vending, was on the lookout for the bobble pins but got shut out. Not too many people looking for tickets, and the few that were selling were going for $100 to $150 (I saw a pair go for $250 and he wanted $150 for his last single).

Overall I'd give the show about an 8.5. Great song selection, good jams at points (Stash, Piper and Twist). The only detractor was the one two snooze combo of Let Me Lie and Beauty.

Mike and Trey did some weird things during BBFCFM with Trey kneeling way down with his mic stand down, and Mike on his tip toes with mic stand extended to the heavens.

16748_345632180132_810210132_9865133_6185029_n.jpg

First timer for me. Thank god I can cross that off the list and hope it remains a one timer. Wild but not my bag.

Can't wait for Albany!

16748_345632125132_810210132_9865126_1696188_n.jpg

16748_345632080132_810210132_9865120_1528900_n.jpg

16748_345632145132_810210132_9865128_4490296_n.jpg

NW,

I'm going to recommend you take 2 sobriety pills and relisten to Character Zero, because when I heard it I was wondering who invited Coventry Trey.

Loved the start of that set though, particularily the Drowned. Aaaaaaaaaaaah............

By the way, thanks for adding the pics. Love those combined with opinions. Lots of fun.

NW,

I'm going to recommend you take 2 sobriety pills and relisten to Character Zero, because when I heard it I was wondering who invited Coventry Trey.

Not neccesary. I'll just keep the pleasant memory alive..... But on that note, I have not and probably won't relisten for a long while. 2009 has been weird: I've seen more shows than I thought I would or even wanted to previously. But at the same time I have listened to almost no Phish at all (save Joy a few times).

I do think the venue played a slight role, as down front it was LOUD (loudest Phish show I have even seen) and not too crispy. My theory is that because they didn't have a "normal" venue to work with.