Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Burt Neilson Band & Fat Cats @ Opera House on Sat. Dec. 19

Jay Funk Dawg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Stuck Between Stations would make the most sense in the Burt repertoire. Plus that would be a really cool card to play when you want to.

Although on second thought Sequestered works for similar reasons and is a bit punchier.

Edited by Guest
Sequestered in Memphis might be a tighter tune to play

Ha Ha..that's funny. Yeah, we do have originals...its true. In fact, some of them are quite good. AND, we will definitely continue the trend and debut some more new material at the Opera House...

I personally like the banter, and hearing what people think we might sound good playing. I would have never thought about the hold steady...or even said, "hey boys let us break into a rousing rendition of Eminence Front"...but now we will

Jeff (keys) called me from the road...i picked up the phone and he was yell/singing eminence front from inside the tour van...that was our conversation. Guess he is pumped.

So I pose this to the old school peeps, what older material from our repertoire should we revisit? I kind of want to play L...been a while

I'm glad this Eminence Front thing has legs. I've always wanted to hear it used as a springboard for an improvisation. It's got a lot of things going for it, the arpeggiated key intro (not sure if I'm using that word correctly), driving drum, the singular bass line and guitar riff. And then of course the definitive vocals. It's also cool that it's a Townsend song and Daltrie comes in on the chorus. Lyrically too it's deep as fuck like some David Byrne shit. Was used very fittingly in an early episode of Entourage once. In short it gives everyone in the band something meaty to lean into and it's precisely the sort of vehicle that Burt can so aptly run right off the road (or into a deer).

I also listened to the Hold Steady's Sequestered in Memphis today by chance and had the exact same thought that it has really meaty parts for all four instruments. It's also a great singalong song, and the singalong songs will be our scripture.

That said I think like many of us Burt was a soundtrack to university towns across the belly of the great white beast. While some of their earlier lyrical conceits reflected their experience the songcraft has gotten much more honed over the years and In The Belly, By The Door and say Bored Again as well as some of the newer tunes that I'm still getting familiar with bely a weary maturity.

Edited by Guest

That said I think like many of us Burt was a soundtrack to university towns across the belly of the great white beast. While some of their earlier lyrical conceits reflected their experience the songcraft has gotten much more honed over the years and In The Belly, By The Door and say Bored Again as well as some of the newer tunes that I'm still getting familiar with bely a weary maturity.

That could be written on the back of their modern day biography. I absolutely love their By The Door ep. It excited the fuckoutofmyshit assuming this is where the song writing was headed. Mike has got some weight behind his self penned tunes since he became old like the rest of us.