Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Burt Neilson Band & Fat Cats @ Opera House on Sat. Dec. 19

Jay Funk Dawg

turnout, well like Blurry said, it was a definite trip down memory lane but overall I think the turnout was kinda low. It was easy to move around and easy to get drinks at the bar. Security at the opera house is freakishly stupid. I don't know what they expect at a hippy show.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely was a great night all around. I came in around the same time in the Fat Cats set and got a chance to chat with the greying boys backstage for a stretch. Rory was really solid and the whole vibe of the crowd was right on. I think it was as big of a turnout as you can expect for this scene these days - one things for sure is that we haven't (myself included) gotten our younger brothers and sisters into this music so there's some atrophy there. The brahtherhood that made it out was a really nice mix though.

Before Burt played there was a nice collegial vibe amongst the bands and the first wives club. I kept joking to play it for 'the kids', then 'the youth'. I threw out Bench because it was one I'm sure I knew but that I knew the kids liked. Everyone wrote a setlist or suggestions I think but Heisholt was sort of collecting things.

I'm dumb with setlists but the partial one is bang on. I genuinely didn't think they were going to play the Front cause it definitely required rehearsal but then Edger told me in the audience that she thought they'd hammered it out the night before. The room was perfect in that the floor was just packed enough with space and the bar area by the door helped ventilate things out. When I heard the arpeggiated synth riffing that distinguishes the intro to Eminence Front I charged to the stage. I mean not only did they nail it but right away it seemed like a chestnut or staple from their repertoire. Jer locked the bass hook, Mike stretched on the guitar lines, Gavin held it down and Heisholt went to town. He really was owning it vocally - scream/crooning 'people forget'. At the top of his voice.

I fucking love this song for so many reasons other than the unbelievable instrumental. I was commenting to anyone who would listen that while people think of the Talking Heads as the pre-eminent (no pun intended) art rock band the Who really were the first. We just tend to know them by their hits and bombastic stage show. Eminence Front isn't David Byrne smart, like more songs about buildings and food, but it's pretty fucking smart.

Seriously tell me these lyrics don't nail the sentiment of the joyousness of the occasion with a plundering wit.

The sun shines

People forget

The spray flies as the speedboat glides

People forget

Forget they're hiding

The girls smile

People forget

The snow packs as the skier tracks

People forget

Forget they're hiding.

Behind an eminence front

Eminence front - It's a put-on.

It’s an eminence front

It’s an eminence front – It’s a put-on

An eminence front

Eminence front - put-on

Eminence front

It’s an eminence front

I’ts an eminence front – It’s a put-on

It’s a put-on

It’s a put-on

It’s a put-on

Come and join the party

Dress to kill

Won't you come and join the party

Dress to kill

Dress to kill.

The drinks flow

People forget

That big wheel spins, the hair thins

People forget

Forget they're hiding

The news slows

People forget

The shares crash, hopes are dashed

People forget

Forget they're hiding.

Behind an eminence front

An eminence front - it's a put-on

It is an eminence front

Eminence front – It’s a put-on

An eminence front

An eminence front - put-on

Eminence front

It’s an eminence front - it's a put-on

It’s a put-on

It’s a put-on

It’s a put-on

Come and join the party

Dress to

Come and join the party

Dress to

Come on join the party

Dress to

Come and join the party

Dress to kill

Dress yourself to kill.

I don't normally find myself having to quote and agree out loud with much that you say (jokes), but I have to agree that we don't do a good job on the youth thing. I've never taken a night off to bring a minor. People brought me. People were always turning people on when I was younger. It was contagious.

I always feel kind of bad and wish that I put a little more effort into turning on the kids. Honestly though, I don't know many.

It definitely was a great night all around. I came in around the same time in the Fat Cats set and got a chance to chat with the greying boys backstage for a stretch. Rory was really solid and the whole vibe of the crowd was right on. I think it was as big of a turnout as you can expect for this scene these days - one things for sure is that we haven't (myself included) gotten our younger brothers and sisters into this music so there's some atrophy there. The brahtherhood that made it out was a really nice mix though.
Edited by Guest

From my notes, and the set list that Jaydawg grabbed for me, here's how I think it went down; corrections would be welcome.

Set I

-----

The Bench

Chevron

No. 7

Full Tilt

Strange Companion

Permit Collector

Martian

In The Belly

jam >

Morning Cold >

Eminence Front (The Who) >

Morning Cold

Holes

Encore

------

Distraction

Speedbump

BNB can still bring it; there are some cryptic notations in my set list, that I've I've decoded to mean "Tell me this isn't Phish" (in "Chevron"), "Tell me this isn't Fat Cats" (in "No. 7"), and "Tell me this isn't Pink Floyd" (in the jam that went into "Morning Cold").

As for the Fat Cats' set list, I stink at knowing their titles, but I did scrawl some lyrical snippets; again, any corrections would be appreciated.

Set I

-----

Try To Find The Pieces

Yesterday Falls Down

Cast A Stone / The Great Divide

Hey Man > All I See > Hey Man

The Days Between

Things Aren't Going Quite My Way

Sweet Lorraine >

Maracas

Put Your Hands Down Easy >

Groove Is In The Heart (Dee-Lite) >