Jambands.ca

ottawa organic chicken source

bouche

Where in the ottawa are can we purchase a quantity of locally raised organic happy fed chicken? I know I could pop in to saslove's, but I'm looking to see if we can buy from the farmer.

We're planning on loading up on some elk from the elk farm in Kanata, some duck from mariposa farm and beef from another farmer, but I haven't really found any info on a local chicken dude.

Is the organic farmer's market still around? I used to get mine there ... and if you ask them for their contact 'deets, you can let them know in advance how much you are looking for and pick it all up at once.

The chickens were all local + organic + happily raised. Wish I still had the contact info for you, but it has been awhile.

There's a corner store near my place called Al-Kalaa Mini Market that specializes in middle eastern groceries and has an on-site butcher/owner. Apparently all the meat comes from a local farm and is killed according to halal law. The owner might be able to hook you up. He's very friendly and loves to talk about his product.

Here's the Ottawa Foodies entry:

http://ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1517

My concern only has to do with freezing. I'm cool with having locally sourced and frozen red meats. They thaw fine if frozen properly, and lets face it, all the fuckin' meat at every shop that looks fresh has been frozen and trucked from alberta or whereever.

If I grab a frozen sirloin from the elk farm and let it thaw, it'll be way more fresh and tasty than the elk at loblaws (they don't have any!) I proved that last summer, but without any documentation...just trust me on that ;)

Chicken is a mystery to me in this regard. I don't like seeing freezer burnt meat in the grocery store which is probably the reason that I haven't bought frozen meat in 12 years. However, with the knowledge of freezing practices and accessibility to local farmers, I think this is actually something to embrace.

Edited by Guest

I went to aubrey's a couple of times in the past only to experience TERRIBLE customer service. One time, it was so horrendous that we had to leave after being ignored for 15 minutes while the owner shot the shit with another customer/friend. How wide does one have too wave their arms and how long does one have to stare directly at the meat that one wants to buy before getting any kind of service?

Nobody served you after 15 minutes? And you stood there for 15 minutes without being served, staring at some meat? Sounds exaggerated...

I've always had great service at Aubrey's. Perhaps you weren't staring or waving your hands in the proper manner. =)

PS. Stop staring directly at my meat Bouche!

• 4 months later...

'Bolivian President Evo Morales has drawn controversy after he said that men should avoid eating chicken if they want to maintain their virility and stop going bald. Morales told an environmental conference on Tuesday that chicken producers inject the birds with female hormones, which he said can lead to baldness and sexual issues in men who eat the chicken. There's an amount of confusion over exactly what Morales said, depending on which translation you read. The Associated Press reported that he said 'and because of that, men who consume them have problems being men' - suggesting he was talking about chickens causing impotence. But another news agency, Agence France-Presse, reported his comments as 'when men eat those chickens, they experience deviances in being men.' Which sounds a bit more like he's blaming chickens for men becoming gay' - Metro