Jambands.ca

Hal's Pirate Radio (Hal makes awesome discovery)

Hal Johnson

If you ever find yourself driving behind me in and around the Wolfville area of Nova Scotia, switch your radio station to 88.5. If you do this you will somehow be blessed with tapping into what I happen to be listening to on my I-pod at that time. Fista and I discovered it earlier today when she was following me somewhere. It blew our freakin minds!!

But, is this common knowledge?

Anyway, its new to me and now I feel a huge weight on my shoulders as I am now a pirate radio DJ. It feel like I have been chosen by the radio gods to do the lords work. It's kinda exciting, not gonna lie.

Edited by Guest
spelling and grammar

Haha, Im serious man. It's unbelievable. I was listening to a Beck song. It ended, Ipod on shuffle. Next a dead song, I skipped it, then maybe a keller song, skipped it too. Settled on Dog Face Boy cause I was tired of skipping songs. Looked in my rearview mirror and my wife has a shit-eating grin on her face and she's mouthing the words to the song. Through hand movements alone we realized what was happening. Guess those FM things are more powerful than I thought. Makes sense too, if you think about it.

Edited by Guest

You know those devices that you attach your IPOD to and plug into your cigarette lighter? Then you have to find a certain fm frequency to listen to your music? Well, somehow people in other cars can hear what Im listening to, clear as day, if they are tuned into the same radio station as me. (which i still think is pretty cool, and obviously I don't think Im the only one with magic powers)I assume this happens all the time, probably more so in rural areas I'd guess, just people don't notice it.

Here's the device I use:

chinavasion-CVSA-443-1-main2.JPG

Edited by Guest

It does that with mine too. You probably have to be pretty close though. Like the car right in front or behind you. I've never tried to check to see how far the broadcast can reach. I live out in the country so there's not a whole lot of competition for airwaves.

Edited by Guest

Assume you have one of these iRae-dios, and you're driving down the highway, and end up behind a car with one of those fish-shaped metal-outline "Jesus" badges on the end flap of the trunk lid...what tunes would you spin up? If you had the iMicrophone attachement, what, if anything, would you say?

Aloha,

Brad

same , hapened to us as well , range is about 150 to 200 m , I think, cause beck jumped out of the car , she was following me in ,(big smile). " This radio station I just found is playing Donna the Buffalo " took me a few seconds to realize she had been picking up my signal,many laughs on that front.

Assume you have one of these iRae-dios, and you're driving down the highway, and end up behind a car with one of those fish-shaped metal-outline "Jesus" badges on the end flap of the trunk lid...what tunes would you spin up? If you had the iMicrophone attachement, what, if anything, would you say?

Aloha,

Brad

Jesus etc. - Wilco and/or Far Away Eyes by the Stones. I don't think I'd say too much, maybe just a "hallelujah brothers and sisters! hallelujah!"

Edited by Guest

To answer BradM: Most anything by the Hold Steady. Maybe 'How a Resurrection Really Feels.'

Question: I used to have an FM transmitter for my ipod but found it didn't work well in cities. Also found on road trips, certain frequencies would sneak their way into my mix. That being said, I haven't used said technology in circa 5 years and it was relatively new then. Is it more reliable now? Do you still get interference or feel like your battling low frequency stations for airplay?

Aloha,

Brad

Frank Zappa - The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing

or

Frank Zappa - Jesus Thinks You're A Jerk

Aloha,

Brad

I'd probably start with something like, "this is God, buy the guy in the car behind you a cheeseburger and a beer. Now!" Then I'd play eiother Lake of Fire or Spirit in the Sky.

Aloha,

Brad