Jambands.ca

RIP Mininova

bouche

No big loss to me, between the adware/spyware & miscellaneous viruses that sometimes pop up at that site, or the mislabeled torrents (eg: not english, not the whole show, not the show at all etc.) I stayed clear of it for the last few years.

I'll watch shows hosted online, through websites like tvshack or I'll download torrents from places like EZTV.

Damn. Where am I going to get all my Stern torrents? Fack!

I hadn't thought of that. I was getting HOWARD TV on there for some of the more compelling guests.

we subscribed. it's worth the $17/mnth to not have to DL, wire up the laptop, etc. and it's a much higher quality picture.

but all of you seem to be missing the most important piece of information on the original link ... lady ga ga used to be a dude! :P

Damn. Where am I going to get all my Stern torrents? Fack!

I hadn't thought of that. I was getting HOWARD TV on there for some of the more compelling guests.

we subscribed. it's worth the $17/mnth to not have to DL' date=' wire up the laptop, etc. and it's a much higher quality picture.

but all of you seem to be missing the most important piece of information on the original link ... lady ga ga used to be a dude! :P

[/quote']

HowardTV isn't offered in Quebec on Videotron. :(

the peer to peer days are numbered i'm afraid.

a "friend" of mine may have downloaded a really current movie and may have gotten an official warning from rogers - who was contacted by columbia pictures....

soon the nasty fines will be flying in canada...

luckily no one gives a shit about jam music....

except for bob weir....and phish maybe, but they are too busy counting their money these days....

peer to peer is not going to die.... that is a technology that can be acheived in so many ways. right now, there is one protocol that's accepted. Bittorrent is not going away, but the trackers that publicly track certain content are being targeted. But for every one of those, there are countless other private trackers.

The rapidshare, megaupload, megashares, superduperuploadshare sites are working fine right now. I'm going to bet that in a couple of years, they'll start enforcing filtering on those servers. Curiously, they actually host the files so I can't believe they aren't targets yet.

Hulu is one example of a legitimate solution to this problem, however it is not available to anyone outside of the US. In the case that one misses a show of which they pay for via their cable subscription, they can watch it on-demand online, for free...so long as they live in the US.

The biggest factor right now in limiting downloads and sharing is the bandwidth capping and port filtering. Since private torrent sites require a 1:1 ratio, that hits hard on the bandwidth allotment for most subs. That's not an issue if you can find what you need in a cloud hosting service like megashare/rapidshare. One just needs to leech.

ok, enough nerdiness from me on this topic.

anyone else care to chime in?