Jambands.ca

I fuÇking hate OSAP

shainhouse

yes, that's right. I am now a student again, doing my PhD. I filled out the form to prove it and mailed it to them in SEPT. They mailed it back to me with a new form, saying they had updated it and wished me to re-do it for their records. Fine. So I did so and sent it back to them. And, during that time, they charged me $100 in interest. Even though I am in school and they obviously has proof.

FUCKING UNETHICAL...

I had all my student loans recalled while I was still going to school, they made a mistake and thought for some reason I wasn't in school. I didn't take out a student loan one year, even though I was still in school. It took me years of living with bad credit before I got them paid off. basterds.

When I got my first mortgage years ago, the credit check showed that I had a "little blip" with OSAP. Thankfully the bank ignored it. They said they knew what OSAP was like. Every month I would get a letter saying that I was on interest relief, then one dated the next day saying my payment was overdue. Nobody can win with them.

as far as i know they don't do grants but will lend money. However, the lending and collecting is all done through regular banks now and they are much less 'forgiving' and will start many off with horrible credit ratings :\

I remember that loan ownership changed while I was in college on an OSAP loan in 95. Boy, did I ever get harassed when I didn't understand or live up to the terms. The debt got sold to a collection agency without any warning and some dude that sounded like one of the sopranos was threatening to show up at my house and take all of my belongings (of which I had none).

At that time you could file for bankruptcy and wipe the loan, but that changed in 96 or so with a new law that killed that option. Apparently that was a very popular tactic to get free schooling.

that's how i remember how things worked then.

thanks to my parents for bailing me out of the loan shark situation and I got a job in ottawa soon-after to start paying off the other part of the loan.

I'll jump in here with my OSAP debacle...

I had both loans & grants (when they still did them) through OSAP all 4 years I was in university.

A year and a half after I graduated, my dad died. 6 months later, I sold his home and I was able to pay off my loan in its entirety (I was lucky, in that sense, obviously). It was approximately $15K.

A few years later, I got a letter saying that they had screwed up one of my grants and that I needed to repay them $1500.

Um--what?

You fucked up. And you want me to give it back?

They gave no explanation as to what/how they messed it up. They just demanded payment.

Initially, I didn't really understand..thought, perhaps, they didn't know I'd already repaid my loan...once I realized what they were saying, I told them that if they could provide me with proof of the error, explaining what happened, I'd definitely repay it.

Naturally, they never did that.

So, for the last 10 years, I get periodic letters from collection agencies...I'm not paying something I don't know that I owe!!! Fuckthat!

It hasn't affected my credit rating, that I know of....it's been checked...

Assholes.

hey, this OSAP fuckup story reminded me how CIBC messed up my repayment. Somehow they messed up a full repayment of one of my loans, and continued to accumulate interest on the $8000 ish loan over a number of years. When I caught wind of this, I had another collection agency after me. Nails were being hammered in my credit rating coffin over this mess.

Luckily, there was a really astute dude working at CIBC and took it upon himself to fix everything for me. I don't know if he did that out of kindness or for company cred.

nonetheless, OSAP can be a frikken nightmare.

I'd like to jump on this I hate OSAP train. I am back in school this year working on my BScN. I got denied because I made too much money last year. Not surprising, but they don't ask how much you pay for mortgage or your car. I had to go get an appraisal on my car, even though I don't own it, it's a lease. So would they like me to go sell my car, because according to them if I can afford a car, I should be able to afford tuition. And if I sell my car I will have to get up at 4:45 each day, take a bus from Guelph to Mississauga, then take a bus to Mac cause there's no nursing program at U of G and no direct bus from Guelph to Hamilton.

Also, I have previous loans from about 5 years ago and they told me twice at school that I wouldn't have to fill out any forms to say that, that my application would be enough and they would stop taking payments out of my account. Wrong. I had to go back to financial aid and fill out those forms cause the payments were still coming out in October. Total dicks.

No offense to any above comments : in the past watching and hearing students wanting loans forgiven or that they can't afford the payback. I get scared , these are our brightess minds and they didn't understand the conditions of the loans thay acccepted or the total sum , somebody help us.

I have not had alot of problems with my osap, but one that does stick out is this repayment debacle thing.

I was in co-op program and working for 8 months, and all of a sudden they wanted me to start paying them back...!! I talked to them and said I am technicaly still in school, and that I should not have to start repaying them until 6 months after I get out. they looked at there records and said that I had negelected to tell them that I was still in school and that according to them I had been out of school fro 6 months.

turns out, I was supposed to inform them I was still in school, even though I had not had to do that the other 4 years I was in school for, and this was all on my osap papers.

arghhhhh.