Jambands.ca

Last minute packing!!!!!! HELP

jay sanislo

Alright guys its time to start packing for this fridays trip to europe. I think i have most of the things i need on my check list but i think i might have forgotten a few.If anyone could help, with things they wish they brought and forgot on there trips or have anything in mind please help me out here, im gettin crazy anxious and im bound to forgot something here.

A padlock or combination lock is a good idea, especially if you'll be staying at budget hotels and hostels. Make sure somebody over here has a photocopy of your passport, and carry one yourself, too.

As with going to festivals, having your own roll of toilet paper can be a godsend; your own bar of soap is also a good idea.

Bring a notebook, and take notes; I did, and as well as giving me a record of my trip (four weeks on a Eurail pass in Sept/Oct 2001), it gave me something to while away the hours on the train.

Aloha,

Brad

Lonely Planet makes a phrase/translation book that's good across most of (Western) Europe, covering French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc. I had one, and, while English works fine across most of (Northern, Western) Europe, it's still a good thing to have.

If you don't have a Hotelling International membership, get one (most youth hostels should be able to set you up with this and lots of other stuff). Having a good book on backpacking/travel through Europe is an essentialy, too (I think I took the Lonely Planet one).

There are Internet Cafes throughout Europe, so make sure to make some foreign correspondence postings. (Do a search with "foreign correspondence" across the Cavern archive to see what I wrote back in 2001.)

Aloha,

Brad

One important thing to check before you leave: if you're planning on using bank machines in Europe, your card may not work. Due to some account re-arranging, it ended up that my CIBC chequing account was (as far as selection at an ATM was concerned) a savings account, which isn't a problem here, but CIBC doesn't allow foreign access to savings accounts. I ended up having to e-mail them, then arrange (via e-mai) to have a CIBC rep phone me at a hostel to get it all sorted out.

Once I got that set up, most machines worked fine.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey Jay,

Have a good time on your trip. I just came back from London a couple of weeks ago and would echo Brad's comment about bank cards...if you the PLUS symbo you should be fine in the UK (the only part of Europe I can speak about). Failing that you can use a VISA or get a cash advance although it's quite pricey so I'd avoid that.

You may also want a voltage converter if you're bringing any electronics or plug-in stuff from home.

Number one item I've recommended to people, regardless of where they're travelling, is a set of earplugs. I'm not a particularly light sleeper but on my first overseas trip to India I found them to be an absolute godsend.

Archived