Jambands.ca

**Bnb needs a new Bio Contest** Win Tickets to BNB@The Opera House

GUITARZAN

Hello gang...

Well it is that time again. Yes, time for a new bio. As I sat down to attempt to revamp our existing Bio, I realized that every attempt to do so was futile.

Then I thought, who better than to write the Bio than those who have listened to and supported the band over the past 15 years.

So, I am offering it up to YOU. Submissions will be accepted until Saturday Dec 5th, 2009. I know, that is not a lot of time...in fact that is only a few days away! However, if there is one thing I learned in school is that we all work best at the last moment...

Feel free to post your submissions here (for the praise or criticism of you peers) as well you can email them to mikeflip@gmail.com

We appreciate and look forward to your creativity!

Cheers

Mike and BNB

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's what we used for their 10 year anniversary!

It was Halloween 1996 in Thunder Bay, Ontario where The BURT NEILSON BAND first took to the stage. Ten years, almost 1,000 shows and 20 cross-Canada tours later, The Burt Neilson Band have risen to Canadian cult status, building a loyal and dedicated fanbase from coast to coast. Celebrating their 10 year anniversary on November 10th at the Opera House, Burt Neilson Band is planning a "Last Waltz" style show with the help of their friends; former Burt Neilson Band Members, plus members of Caution Jam, Fat Cats, Peter Elkas Band and many others...)

BIO

Formed in 1996 in frosty Thunder Bay, Ontario, BURT NEILSON BAND is a four-piece group simply in love with music. Consisting of bass, drums, guitar, keyboards and vocals, BNB thrives on live performances filled with creativity and spontaneity. The band, in their ten year career, have toured Canada coast to coast eighteen times, played over eight hundred shows, had four successful independent releases, and secured an army of loyal and devoted fans.

With an original lineup of seven, BNB have refined their sound over the years to be more focused, clean and in tune with the moment. Mike Filipowitsch (guitar/vocals), Jeff Heisholt (keyboards/vocals), Jeremy Little (bass/vocals) and Gavin Maguire (drums/vocals) do their best to create music from the heart, drawing heavily from their backgrounds of rock n' roll, funk, country and life.

The road has been good to Burt Neilson Band. They've been lucky enough to play across Canada and the USA, logging countless hours of van time and stage experience. From their beginnings in Northern Ontario, the band quickly branched out to spread their music to as many people as possible. One cross country tour suddenly turned into a dozen and before they knew it, BNB found themselves veterans of the highway and leaders of a new resurgence of independent Canadian touring bands. Consistently selling out rooms across the country and basically living on the road became the norm for Burt Neilson. So in 2002 the band decided to take a year off, settle down and get ready for another long stretch of writing, performing and recording. The band emerged from hibernation in early 2003 and received the "COCA – 2003 Indie Band of the Year" award, played high profile gigs at the Evolve Festival, Come Together Music Festival, Yellowknife Folk Festival and many others...

Burt Neilson Band first entered the recording studio in 1997. Although throughout their years they have encouraged the taping and trading of their live shows, 1998 saw the release of the self-titled 'Burt Neilson Band'. Recorded in Thunder Bay, the CD featured 10 of the band's first compositions and went on to sell out of many pressings. BNB followed that with 2000's 'Orange Shag Carpet', which featured more mature writing and showcased the musical growth of the band. 2001 brought the release of 'Five Alive', a live CD recorded while on tour in Ontario that March. It featured one song from each previous release as well as six new originals and clocked in at 74 minutes. The band released their fourth CD, "By the Door" in February 2004, and are currently preparing new material for their next release.

In terms of other projects that the guys play in or have played in I need an exhaustive list so far it includes the Trews, Jason Collett (Zeus?), Bodega (Gavin?), Everything All The Time, Pete Elkas. Anybody got any input? I'm blanking on anything else but I know Heisholt tours with at least one other band.

In terms of other projects that the guys play in or have played in I need an exhaustive list so far it includes the Trews, Jason Collett (Zeus?), Bodega (Gavin?), Everything All The Time, Pete Elkas. Anybody got any input? I'm blanking on anything else but I know Heisholt tours with at least one other band.

Heisholt's also in Bluebudzz, and Mike also has a solo singer/songwriter career.

Aloha,

Brad

There’s little room for debate: The Burt Neilson Band are Canada’s pre-eminent jamband. A double edged label at best- most often used by rock writers as a pejorative and followed by adjectives like ‘wanky’ and descriptions of audience members ‘noodle dancing’- most bands still would die for the loyalty particularly in terms of live shows that this band has engendered in their over ten year career.

Having formed in Thunder Bay in 1996 as a seven piece band, Burt Neilson gradually whittled down to an airtight, turn on a dime, four piece ensemble. With over 1000 live shows under their belt they’ve honed their chops and sound beyond their youthful dabblings with crowd pleasing versions of rock, soul and funk grooves. While one can still count on their live show to delve at any moment into looser improvisations their songwriting has showed a steadfast growth in both style and substance.

The fact that journalists get hung up on the label doesn’t seem to matter at all to the band members influential group of peers- the fellow musicians they would have themselves judged by. Not surprisingly veteran sideman (keyboards/organ/accordion) Jeff Heisholt tours extensively with the Trews who will admit that when they were underage they’d sneak into BNB’s legendary shows in their hometown of Antigonish, NS. Bassist Jeremy Little (in addition to his own project Everything All The Time) was plucked for Jason Collett’s backing band when the remnants of Paso Mino scattered to the winds and Zeus was formed. Drummer Gavin Maguire likewise plays in a handful of ensembles ranging from their cohort Pete Elkas’ band to Bodega to Dearly Beloved. Meanwhile frontman Mike Filipowitsch is focusing on his solo material and life as a teacher.

On Saturday December 19th the Burt Neilson Band carry on a tradition of reuniting for their extended fanbase with a holiday show accompanied by fellow travellers Fat Cats (another group with a storied connection to their fans) and the Gratefully Deadicated Sound System.

Sorry that's the best I could come up with in between cooking lunch for 30 people.

widdled = whittled ? I am asking honestly, since I always feel vocabulary-challenged when I read the zero.

yeah, I think that it's 'whittled' too.

nice bio, but how come you didn't mention anything about the drama with northern heads, or the backlash that happened in the last whittling?

Indeed whittled not widdled. I wanted/want to do a more proper one that could be a more permanent presskit piece but I sort of need to talk to one or two of the band members first. This is as best as I could do on the fly while feeding a soup kitchen full of hungry mouths.

Attn: Jaydawg. As is I've checked it twice, it was whittled not widdled, and I used 'likewise' twice in the second last paragraph. Go with this version it's edited fine (although there's a space in accordio n that's not in my text).

It's not bad though I kind of like it.

I think the 'jamband moniker = double edged sword/whatever' is a little played out.

No shit the media and everyone who listens/ reads about music hates the term. Man, I played in one, and I'm currently writing a retort on a website named after them, and I can barely choke the word out in conversation, even when its the most suitable word to describe a band.

I'd tend to agree Jay but what are you going to do in a blanket press kit piece. I like that the countervailing point is that Jason Collett doesn't give two shits if you were in a fucking 'jamband' he's looking for a solid player with good feel and dynamics. I think this version tips it's hand in that direction.

the "jamband" thing is played out for sure...I will say this in all honesty, it is also impossible to escape...especially if you are the guitar player...ha ha

Apparently i am the only one in the band who has not played in a "cool" indie band. hmmmmmmmmmmm

I like the words Luke!

Edited by Guest