Jambands.ca

QOTN: Verbal pet-peeves

d_rawk

(That's 'Question of the Night', BTW -- although I realize that on a Sunday night there aren't going to be many participants, so feel free to join in on Monday morning at which point it will be a QOTD)

For me:

- 'needless to say': If it is needless to say, then why are you saying it? And most people who use this particular phrase seem to have it as almost a vocal tic. It is like how I end every second or third sentence with 'and shit'. It's really annoying and shit. ;)

- 'it begs the question': Begging the question is a logical fallacy with a very specific meaning. What you probably mean to say is "It makes one wonder [xyz]", or "That prompts the question [xyz]"

- 'the proof is in the pudding': No. No, it isn't. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. What you just said is entirely meaningless.

- 'nevertheless': Similar to 'needless to say', though not quite as irritating.

- 'fuck you, d_rawk': self-explanatory ;)

Yours?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used some of these at one point I'm sure, but here's a few that bother me at times.

Finishing sentences or a conversation with 'so' or 'but'.

When people use these:

'epic' - unless your talking about the Iliad (extra annoying when describing a song/show/solo etc)

'heady' - unless your talking about beer, an aroma or maybe when describing the buzz of some good marijuana.

'scene' - when talking about anything other then then a movie, play or a situation ('it was quite a scene' etc).

'chill' - when describing your night, or an event.

'ditto' - when in agreement with someone.

Although not part of the question and probably better as it's own QoTD/N, there are some internet phrases that bother me as well. When people quote someone and reply only with 'QFT' or 'this'.

I used to have a co-worker who was afraid to say the word "me" and constantly replaced what should have been "me" with "myself": "When you are finished with that report, give it to myself." I think this all stems from constantly being corrected over misusing "me" when you are a child ("Me and Johnny are going to the store.") and never actually learning the difference between me, myself and I. Having spent years teaching grammar, this drives me nuts.

I'm not even going to get started on people who use "irregardless."

A couple of ones I remember (fondly) that members of my family used to commit were "ambliance" instead of "ambulance" and "accountanant" instead of "accountant." I also had a co-worker who would say "orientated" instead of "oriented" (we were doing object-oriented programming, so the term came up regularly).

Aloha,

Brad