Jambands.ca

QOTN: Verbal pet-peeves

d_rawk

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people use these:

'epic' - unless your talking about the Iliad (extra annoying when describing a song/show/solo etc)

'heady' - unless your talking about beer, an aroma or maybe when describing the buzz of some good marijuana.

'scene' - when talking about anything other then then a movie, play or a situation ('it was quite a scene' etc).

'chill' - when describing your night, or an event.

'ditto' - when in agreement with someone.

This phrase is used far too often too:

"I was blown away" or "They blew me away".

I dislike these phrases too:

"To tell you the truth" (as opposed to lying?)

"To be totally honest with you" (see above)

"That's the way I roll"

"Know what I mean" (some people seemingly use this phrase after every few sentences).

The over-use of the word "random".

The Brits can shove "BRILLIANT" up their asses.

haha, I always get a laugh out of my little brothers accent and phrases now-a-days, it's a mix of English(UK)/ Scottish/ Canadian(eastern) now. I find myself laughing and asking him to "say that again" more and more every year.

Wow. After reading all these, I think I better keep my mouth shut from now on. There is a whole bunch of small town shit that I hear and speak all the time listed here!

hahaha, no shit! i challenge all of this thread's posters to spend a day or two in Chatham.

And Esau goddammit I just used "THIS" for the first time ever in Rich Stadium today! Don't hate me! ;)

haha, Don't worry man, that (referring to 'This'..lol) doesn't really occur enough on this board for it to be bothersome. Now on a different board I frequent, you can see upwards of 10 or more replies like that in a single thread.

hahaha, no shit! i challenge all of this thread's posters to spend a day or two in Chatham.

Why? Do a lot of people in Chatham agree with each other using the word 'ditto' or refer to music as "heady' and 'epic' ? loljb.gif;)

Why? Do a lot of people in Chatham agree with each other using the word 'ditto' or refer to music as "heady' and 'epic' ? loljb.gif;)

Hahaha... nah, Chatham's not the headiest of scenes around. More along the lines of 'i seen that guy yesterday', 'he don't know what he's talkin' 'bout', 'so i says to the guy'... I'd say if you live in Chatham and the only thing you pick up is 'seriously' or 'literally' you're doing AOK.

That and adding an 's' on somewhere. 'I think it's somewheres over there'. Somewheres? Where does that even come from!?

"You know what I mean?" at the end of every sentence irritates me.

No, I have nooooo idea what you mean... you are speaking so cryptically. Really, any worthless words people use to sound smart get me in a face punchy mood, "in a sense."

Oh, and when did people start leaving off the "me" from the end of sentences?

Ex: "I'm going to the store at lunch, would you like to come with?" Is this proper? I seem to remember people saying "Would you like to come with me?" or maybe even, "Would you like to join me?"