Jambands.ca

QOTN: Verbal pet-peeves

d_rawk

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you imagine that as sung by The Hold Steady, it really rocks.

Cute! :) Haha.

I think the term 'pet peeve' might be a bit of an annoyance for me

Noted. Sorry.

It is what it is. I'm not really a fan of that statement.

I am very guilty of this one. It does sometimes seem like the most direct way to communicate what I intend to communicate, which, as questcequecest? said is generally "face the facts". I guess I could say 'face the facts' but that has a different flavour to it.

Great participation by all contributing skanks so far. This has been a lot of fun.

Yes, "face the facts' or 'take it or leave it', etc.. but they all sound equally cliche. I guess also "you need to fucking deal with this, because it isn't going to change". I usually use 'it is what it is' when I am being twitchy and tweaky and someone expresses concern about it. 'Hey, if I can deal with it, you can. It is what it is.'

Can we talk?

I find I like a lot of the things you people have mentioned as peeves. Don't get me wrong, I have a whole zoo of peeves, but I don't think many of the verbal ones bug me. I'm even okay with "my bad" so long as the person is okay with my unwavering and inevitable retort, "my bad means never having to say you're sorry."

I guess language is how we hear the inside of each other's brains, and we all gots quirks.

While we're 'talking' I will mention that I still find it difficult to understand why so many people collectively stopped using capital letters and punctuation. In the computer age, when mistakes have never been easier to fix, people have all but completely abandoned even taking a stab at the 'rules' of written language. It seems to me that proper punctuation and captialisation makes one more understood. (I'll thank you all for keeping your Capitalism Sucks jabs to yourselves)

To be clear, I'm not referring at all to the words one uses, just how...neat? it looks.

You missed a period at the end...sloppy!

I, actually, don't mind a lot of the peevy things mentioned but mostly just when they are actually used for a purpose. When they become just an end of the sentence filler (you know what I mean) or a mean nothing conversation ender (it is what it is)... peeve time.

I agree 'pet peeve' is a stupid whatever.

I agree with you on the punctuation-thing when typing. People have just grown lazy to the point of not caring whether they look intelligent or not, when they so easily could by simply using basic rules of grammar, punctuation, and syntax.

Where I don't agree with you, though, is that I still can't stand "my bad".

I agree with you on how annoying the demise of integrity is when it comes to the written word. Most of these catch-phrases don't bother me. I use a lot of them. I'm not going to lie, it is what it is. I do hate shortened words though; just say the whole thing. You can't be THAT busy.

Anyways, one thing I'm guilty of grammatically, is ending my sentences with "..." But, if you know me, it kind of resembles how I talk...

Whoa now, as an occasional punctualizer, i feel like i need to stick up for my kind. a demise of integrity? i think taking a look at what the internet has done in enabling casual conversation to come across in written format would probably explain the trend.

We don't all walk around saying 'well hello, Sir! How do you do today?' - our modes of communicating are changing.

Anyways, one thing I'm guilty of grammatically, is ending my sentences with "..." But, if you know me, it kind of resembles how I talk...

I use that all the time too, for the same reason. I find it as descriptive as a semi-colon as far as making written word "speech-like".

I agree with you on the punctuation-thing when typing. People have just grown lazy to the point of not caring whether they look intelligent or not, when they so easily could by simply using basic rules of grammar, punctuation, and syntax.

Co-sign! (peeve-worthy?)

I can sort of understand it on message boards, even though I still find that kind of weak. Where lazy grammar/punctuation really confounds me is in work e-mail correspondence.

Another verbal peeve of mine is the use of "retarded" as a pejorative.

Whenever one of my students describes something as "retarded" I quickly say, "My brother is retarded," (he isn't), to which they always say "really?!?!" and I always say, "yes" and then we move on.

It never comes up again.

It occurs to me that I actually look forward to these oppourtunities to 'minister'.

Whenever one of my students describes something as "retarded" I quickly say, "My brother is retarded," (he isn't), to which they always say "really?!?!" and I always say, "yes" and then we move on.

It never comes up again.

It occurs to me that I actually look forward to these oppourtunities to 'minister'.

That made my morning.