Jambands.ca

I got miracled today (not concert ticket related)

TheAlphaNerd

You mean this:

"Just as my flight was finally boarding I decided to do a quick bathroom run. As I was washing my hands I noticed on the floor one of those money belts that you wear under your clothes. I picked it up and it obviously wasn't empty. There was nobody else in the bathroom, so I opened it and found it full of US dollars, but no identification. I stood there wondering what to do, hoping that whoever lost it would come back any second. Nobody came, which was somewhat of a blessing because I felt a bit creepy just standing in the bathroom doing nothing and holding this thing in my hands, and after probably three or four minutes they called the final boarding call for my flight, so feeling quite shitty I got on the plane. I counted the money in the bathroom on the plane: $745US.

The flight itself was quite unremarkable (which is how I generally like them) except the two fifteen-year-old kids sitting next to me kept necking. The first movie was horrible (unless you're a fifteen-year-old kid I suppose) and I bailed on the second for some sleep, which was largely a failure, perhaps due in part to feeling a pending sense of doom. It's not that I'm convinced I did something wrong, but I'm certainly not sure I did something right, and it just feels like bad karma in my wallet. There certainly wasn't enough time to get to a lost & found, if there is one, and I'm not sure giving it to an employee would at all guarantee that it would make it’s way back to the right hands, so I sat on the plane and felt shitty and doomy and imagining the horror somebody was going through realizing they lost all their money."

It still bugs me - what do you think I should have done ollie?

If I recall correctly, Velvet, didn't you have some moment later in that trip where the money saved you from certain doom? Maybe I'm wrong...

There was nothing else you could have done man. It's very likely that the person to whom you handed the money would have pocketed it. Without anything identifying, what else could you have done? Nothing, I say.

It still bugs me - what do you think I should have done ollie?

I'v been putting some thought into an answer but I really don't know. I can answer what I think you could have done or what I think I might have done but not what you should have done.

It's very likely that the person to whom you handed the money would have pocketed it.

Whether it's very likely, or somewhat likely or not likely at all is supposition. But one thing for sure is that by keeping the money, it's 100% guaranteed that the original owner won't get it back.

Sorry for bringing up a sensitive subject. I was going to preface my question with "I probably shouldn't post this but..." But that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Velvet's question.

Whether it's very likely, or somewhat likely or not likely at all is supposition. But one thing for sure is that by keeping the money, it's 100% guaranteed that the original owner won't get it back.

I agree completely, which is why it still bugs me I guess. After waiting in the bathroom for a few minutes I heard my final boarding call. When I left the bathroom I could see my gate was empty so I had to hurry, but I saw a cleaning lady up the hallway with her cleaning cart. I decided very quickly that I should just get on the plane; I doubt that I would've missed my plane by going to the cleaning lady, but I also doubted that the cleaning lady would do anything but pocket the money. As my logs indicate, I never felt very good about my decision.

Fortunately, other instances have proved to myself that if there was a lost and found booth right there, or I had twenty minutes left before boarding, that there's no way I would've kept the money.

Getting back to the thread, those other circumstances (most recently finding a wallet full of money and ID on the ground at F8 and getting it back to its owner) tell me that if I had found this bag on the subway I woulda turned it in too, as I suspect most of us would.

wow that's so wonderful. I left my bag on the go bus once, I was lucky enough to run into a bus driver who messaged the driver driving the bus on which my bag was on.. lol... It was waiting for me when I got to Toronto. Thank goodness for good people.... I've lost my wallet so many times, never to get it back, you're so lucky that someone with a good heart found your bag :D

Getting back to the thread, those other circumstances (most recently finding a wallet full of money and ID on the ground at F8 and getting it back to its owner) tell me that if I had found this bag on the subway I woulda turned it in too, as I suspect most of us would.

Good on ya, and totes!