Jambands.ca

.flac for iPod

skelter

Hey folks,

It seems to me that iPod will not play .flac files, so I'm wondering what you have done to get around this? Are you converting to 320k mp3 and dealing with the slight degradation, or is there a way to convert to Apple's lossless codec. I've also heard of people using Rockbox.

Thoughts?

wouldn't one flac show take up the entire iPod storage space?

I don't know much about ipods as I've never owned one, but I have all of my shows in FLAC and I can't say I have ever seen one show exceed 2gb let alone 160gb.

Looking at my Dylan HDD it seems the average 2 disc shows takes up anywhere from 500-700mb in FLAC.

i'm just one of those guys that is completely satisfied with a well done mp3. i've never liked the feeling of having to archive flacs. mostly because cd's are a pain to store. but now with large external drives, archiving is much easier.

hell, you can even get online cloud archiving for cheap. is anyone doing that with their flacs?

Why would you archive them? I used to burn them to CDs and I could still play them in FLAC with my home stereo (PC > stereo), but once they started making 300GB+ HDDs more affordable I went with a couple of those since for me, buying the blanks was the pain, not storing CDs - I had a cabinet-maker buddy make me an awesome CD self.

I haven't FLAC'd my CD collection, only my live music collection which pretty much comes in FLAC already. I still trade music quite a bit via snail mail or by private trackerless torrents so making them mp3 wouldn't do me much good. Not too mention I don't own an ipod.

Not on topic anyway, sorry to derail your thread skelter.

Why would you archive them? I used to burn them to CDs and I could still play them in FLAC with my home stereo (PC > stereo), but once they started making 300GB+ HDDs more affordable I went with a couple of those since for me, buying the blanks was the pain, not storing CDs - I had a cabinet-maker buddy make me an awesome CD self.

I thought that was the point of the FLAC format. For archiving lossless audio images. My point was that I hated having to label and organize CD's. I have horrible handwriting btw.

I read somewhere that there is a new portable FLAC player on the market. Not that this helps you with your iPod issue, but those who are thinking of buying one may want to hold off and get the new FLAC player instead.

I will try to find the link later, but I think I saw it in a thread on bt.org in a GD torrent comment section.

Best deal right now is the highly rated Sandisk Dansa Clip+. You can get a 4 GB for $40 (Best Buy online), and an 8 GB for $50, AND THEY CAN BE EXPANDED WITH A MicroSD CARD (up to 16 extra GBs!!! Soon up to 32 GB!!!) Best of all THEY PLAY FLAC!!!

Compare with a Sony 8 GB without FLAC and without expansion for $100, or an iPod 8 GB without either other either for $180.

Also, the Sansa Clip+ is rated at, I think, 4 stars at Amazon. CAN'T BEAT THIS DEAL! I AM GETTING MINE AS SOON AS MY CHECK ARRIVES!!!

Wait, was wrong, rated at 4.5 stars (out of a possible 5) at Amazon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just do it! Less than half (in some cases one third) the price of players that do NOT have expansion and DO NOT PLAY FLACS!!!

...uh, YOU'RE WELCOME!!! I've done the research, and now I'm DONE searching... get it before they catch on to the fact that they are BY FAR the best deal anywhere!!! 8 GB + 16 GB expansion gives you 24 GB of Grateful Dead FLAC'd GODNESS!

My entire collection is Flac and as such I have avoided Ipods due to the fact they do not play these lossless files.

I have a COWON iaudio player that plays every format and it's great.

I also recently bought my girlfriend a Iriver player and it plays flac too.

Check Amazon.com to find these players.

Ipods should be playing flac by now.