Jambands.ca

Oldie but goodie movie recommendations

Ms.Huxtable

All Quiet on the Western Front

The 1930 Lew Ayers version or the 1979 TV adaptation starring Richard "John Boy" Thomas? Actually' date=' the TV version is pretty good, but the original is fucking incredible. [/quote']

I never knew there was a TV version. loljb.gif

All Quiet on the Western Front

The 1930 Lew Ayers version or the 1979 TV adaptation starring Richard "John Boy" Thomas? Actually' date=' the TV version is pretty good, but the original is fucking incredible. [/quote']

I never knew there was a TV version. loljb.gif

I've seen it twice (once when it first aired and again fairly recently). Although it pales in comparison to the original, Thomas proves himself a fine serious actor.

I'm going to see if I can squeeze in a few classic Clint Eastwood westerns!

Start with the Leone trilogy: Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. And another great Leone western is Once Upon a Time in The West, starring Henry Fonda as a child-killing badguy with Charles Bronson tracking him.

46066_3.jpg

I remember watching classic films as a kid on Saturday Night at the Movies with Elwy Yost in the late 70s early 80s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwy_Yost

Heck yeah, buddy. Gotta love TV Ontario. I have similar memories of watching Elwy Yost, although mine took place a little bit later on than yours. ;) Also, I never looked at the man the same way again after hearing the story of him going up to someone's cottage to go snowmobiling, but then he couldn't out on the sleds go because they couldn't find a helmet big enough for his giant melon. Really happened.

As for old movies, Ms. Hux, I say go Audrey Hepburn, specifically Roman Holiday.

I bought annette Casablanca on blu-ray for Christmas. Looking forward to watching it!

I will second Path of Glory. One of the best war films (or anti-war films) I have ever seen. I liked it better than Full Metal Jacket as far as Kubrick films go.

I remember walking into a film class in University while they were showing The Maltese Falcon. I remember enjoying it, but I was high as fuck, so my memories are a bit hazy on that one.

As far as Eastwood westerns go. I loved High Plains Drifter. Eastwood is bad-ass in it. One of my all time favourite endings to a film as well.

Edited by Guest