fuÇk You NBC and Jay Leno, you fuÇking backstabbing weasels

Jaimoe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuÇk You NBC and Jay Leno, you fuÇking backstabbing weasels

whoa...why exactly are you so mad?

I'm a Conan fan from the very beginning. Jay hand-picked Conan to take over the Tonight Show because Jay wanted to basically retire... but secretly set up his own earlier show to undercut all the 11:30 late night programs. Jay is getting pounded with bad ratings and now wants to get his old job back. Fuck that smarmy backstabbing S.O.B..

I'm with you Jaimoe....FURIOUS! GRRRRR!

I've been enjoying Conan's access to bigger stars and musical acts while watching him continue on with his brand of humour.

This is really really bad business. If leno failed, then let him pick up the pieces elsewhere. There was talk that this might happen (on Stern of course) but not until next fall.

They need to let Conan's show pick up some steam. He's only had the tonight show since....june?

Also, is that article suggesting that they are dumping the Tonight Show and Leno's failed show will take over????

more questions. Didn't NBC offer Conan 40 million bucks if he didn't get the tonight show for some reason? now what? Does he get his dues?

GRRR!

I think this is too little info at this point. The basic bullets to get are that Leno put thousands of actors, scriptwriters, grips, directors out of business when they decided to start 'late night' at 10 in place of original programming. Leno's platform really really sucks and he seems to have lost any credibility he had whatsoever, this is killing the lead in into the nightly news which is a shit lead in for Conan. It's the same thing with Conan leading into Fallon.

If, and that's a big if- it sounds more like the affiliates (imagine dudes in leisure suits, and tweed jackets in Tulsa or some shit) are bawking- something like this went down a) Conan would have the sickest golden parachute ever B) the public would likely perceive that Conan was in effect assraped c) Conan will shake his pompadour and say 'Gee, Mr. Leno here's your show back' then take it to any other network or cable, or film. The sympathy towards Conan, which is already substantial and he has rightly assumed the Tonight Show mantle in that great tradition, would be so overwhelming it would be a public relations nightmare for NBC (GE/Comcast) a fourth place network to begin with. Which is perhaps more to the point since comedy and late night is pretty much the ONLY thing NBC does right and attributes to a substantial amount of their ad revenues.

Edited by Guest

fuÇk You NBC and Jay Leno' date=' you fuÇking backstabbing weasels[/quote']

whoa...why exactly are you so mad?

Jay hand-picked Conan to take over the Tonight Show because Jay wanted to basically retire... but secretly set up his own earlier show to undercut all the 11:30 late night programs.

But was it Jay who handpicked Conan? I have heard Jay make references to the fact that he was forced out before he was ready to go, and I think the fact that he never really retired speaks to that.

I think this is too little info at this point. The basic bullets to get are that Leno put thousands of actors, scriptwriters, grips, directors out of business when they decided to start 'late night' at 10 in place of original programming. Leno's platform really really sucks and he seems to have lost any credibility he had whatsoever, this is killing the lead in into the nightly news which is a shit lead in for Conan. It's the same thing with Conan leading into Fallon.

If, and that's a big if- it sounds more like the affiliates (imagine dudes in leisure suits, and tweed jackets in Tulsa or some shit) are bawking- something like this went down a) Conan would have the sickest golden parachute ever B) the public would likely perceive that Conan was in effect assraped c) Conan will shake his pompadour and say 'Gee, Mr. Leno here's your show back' then take it to any other network or cable, or film. The sympathy towards Conan, which is already substantial and he has rightly assumed the Tonight Show mantle in that great tradition, would be so overwhelming it would be a public relations for NBC (GE/Comcast) a fourth place network to begin with. Which is perhaps more to the point since comedy and late night is pretty much the ONLY thing NBC does right and attributes to a substantial amount of their ad revenues.

smashing good optimistic insight old chap. I like these points. They make me feel better.

Unfortunately I got to thinking about this as if it were a reality. I still think it's like a Paul (from the Beatles) is dead type hoax. But....

Putting it in the context of the recent GE Comcast merger the situation is telling. Well basically, you know a vodka company (Seagram) that was founded by rich Montreal bootlegging Jews bought a company called Universal and then in some simple twist of fate a French (like France french) water asset (Vivendi) merged with Universal. Now GE bought it's 20% of NBC Universal back off Vivendi and then sold %51 of their whole nut to Comcast. But GE ultimately is trying to get out altogether in seven years and Comcast's butcher's table approach to NBC Universal will be Satriale in it's inspiration.

I found a number of in depth articles but this one breaks it down best:

Although they may provide little detail when they announce their NBC Universal merger Thursday morning, Comcast and General Electric intend to sell off the NBC-owned television stations and eventually collapse the NBC TV Network into existing or new cable properties.....

NBC Universal-Comcast Will Eventually Exit Broadcast TV

[color:red]GE is in a financial bind and needs to quickly do the NBCU deal in order to ameliorate a string of obligations. Some analysts estimate that GE could be leaving as much as $10 billion in value on the table just to get the NBCU deal done now. GE must buyout Vivendi’s existing 20 percent stake in NBCU for $5.8 billion and raise up to $20 billion in capital to fund its core industrial businesses next year, according to Stern Agee analyst Nicholas Heymann. GE will attach $9 billion in debt to the new NBCU. “This whole thing is like a ball of yarn rapidly unwinding,†Heymann said.

Other NBCU assets that Comcast could eventually sell or monetize by bringing in additional partners include Universal Studios and the theme parks. Those issues can be addressed once the merger is completed within about a year.

I guess what occured to me is that Jay Leno in this context is more than Oprah say in terms of clearly being a global brand. What he adds in terms of value by dint of his further involvement with NBC is not insubstantial. Viewed in the light of the Comcast deal Jay Leno is more than Cheers, The Cosby Show or Seinfeld represented at the time (all of which have floated off to a lucrative and hazy life of syndication). With a rapidly eroding subscriber base for Old TV, the only population still watching likely to use a MedicAlert bracelet, Jay Leno is something more like (my words) 'a demographic and revenue profit cluster'.

In terms of what he represents as say a brand category in the selloff of NBC Universal is not insubstantial. The constant paradigm shifts of delivery models and platforms, the rapid disintegration of the network broadcast model of revenue, all of this contributes to an almost patently absurd (like Terry Gilliam's Brazil absurd) fire sale of pre-eminent proportions.

Edited by Guest
Edited due to breach of Sheinhardt Wig Company standard confidentiality agreement

Fuck man I should have read the douchey original article- is this what you had your panties in a bunch all about.

The New York Times' Bill Carter confirms Leno, O'Brien and NBC execs held discussions Thursday regarding the future of the network's late-night line-up:

... while NBC officially said no final decision on the plan had been made, two senior NBC executives who had talked to the top management about the moves said that under the plan being discussed, Mr. Leno would definitely shift back to 11:35 but in a half-hour format, while Mr. O’Brien would slide back his start time by a half hour and then produce an hourlong show.

"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" would move to 1:07 a.m., according to the Times.

"Tonight's" start time has changed before: it began at 11:15 p.m. on Jan. 7, 1957, moved to 11:30 p.m. on Jan. 2, 1967, then moved again to 11:35 p.m. on Sept. 2, 1991.

That makes more sense as Jay's dying in his hourlong format and whoever's at the helm NBC's going to go back to churning police procedurals and ER redux's.

I think MOST MOST MOST importantly out of all this, and striking a Machiavellian deathblow while the iron is hot seems fitting, what we should get out of this is that Vicki Randle must die. Not get out of Kevin Eubanks ragtag Primetime band or whatever the fuck he calls it, not just stop shimmying her tambourine and catcalling Proud Mary going to commercial, I mean a commercial grade assassin (hell a thickfisted goon would do) should extinguishe her lifeforce permanently. And fuck what that does to Comcast and their whole evisceration of NBCU be damned.

leno.jpg

Glad we get to keep Kevin Eubanks on the air.

I love hearing that guy tear into his Boogie (amp) coming back from commercial.

(I like his tone...)

bild1aa.png

Kevin being able to sound like that has a lot to do with that pink 'hot plate' - it lets him turn down the speakers but have his amp turned up...

I guess NBC's doing the same thing with Leno...less time, but back on the air in a hot slot.

I'm just hurt I didn't get a pat on the back for the due diligence on the GE/Comcast deal. In the back of my mind I keep remembering that of their 49% of NBCU, 10% of GE I believe is owned by a private equity firm (I'm presuming people assume GE is completely publicly held). %10 of a %49 nut gives the private equity alot of say particularly if GE is hamstrung by an imbroglio of financial obligations.