Jambands.ca

Haiti

AD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read through the discussions on that Guradian.uk article and the boingboing one. It's an interesting read and it highlights the damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios.

Some things to consider. Labadee is not a true port. Has no major unloading facilities and would have been used as one by the Haitian gov't or international relief suppliers if it made any logical sense. Here's a map. I believe Cap Haitien is nest to Labadee. It's over 130kms away from Port au Prince.

Haiti_map.png

From Royal Caribbean

As one of Haiti's largest foreign investors for almost 30 years, we are providing at least $1 million in humanitarian relief in response to the catastrophic earthquake in Port-Au-Prince. We are partnering with charitable organizations such as Food for the Poor, the Pan American Development Foundation and the Solano Foundation. We are also delivering much needed goods and supplies to Haiti via our cruise ships.

Leslie Voltaire, Special Envoy of the government of Haiti to the United Nations said, "Given the terrible economic and social challenges we now face in Haiti, we welcome the continuation of the positive economic benefits that the cruise ship calls to Labadee contribute to our country."

In addition to continuing our visitation to Haiti, and the revenue it brings to the country, 100% of the company's net revenue from the destination will be contributed to the relief effort. Guests will also have the ability to make donations to the Food for the Poor’s Haiti Relief Fund through their onboard accounts fleetwide.

To learn how you can contribute immediately, visit: www.foodforthepoor.org/royalcaribbean

For ongoing updates, please visit Royal Caribbean President and CEO Adam Goldstein’s blog here.

The following ships will be delivering goods to Haiti, such as: rice, dried beans, powdered milk, water, canned goods and other supplies. When the supplies arrive in Labadee®, they will be transported to an offsite location to be distributed by Food for the Poor, a long time partner of Royal Caribbean in Haiti.

* Independence of the Seas® - Friday, January 15th

* Navigator of the Seas® - Monday, January 18th

* Liberty of the Seas® - Tuesday, January 19th

* Celebrity Solstice® - Friday, January 22nd

another informative comment:

They should have altered the route and sent the supplies via another means of transport."

The more I dig on the background on this, the more I think they're doing something useful under less than ideal circumstances.

Looks like they are the fastest transport. It also appears that almost every cruise vessel docking there over the next while will be bringing in supplies. Go looking for pictures of the dock there, though - this is strickly forklift and truck operation; no cranes or multi-level conveyors here. Nearby this area are Haitian facilities - still operating - that need those supplies.

As to timing - this was an 8 day cruise that departed Ft Lauderdale on January 9th. They had been on the water for 5 days before the quake struck. They picked up the special provisions from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Acting as a delivery run wasn't part of the original cruise.

Cruise ships operate on a very tight schedule. This ship was in Haiti on Friday - by Sunday, they were *departing* on a different cruise. That same tight schedule means that picking a different port of call - with 48 hours notice - was going to be next to impossible. Even a half-day's delay to the schedule would start to push back into an affect on close to ten thousand people.

Finally - UN officials on the island are indicating this stop, with passengers going onshore, is a net benefit for Haiti. Keeping the economic engines turning over will mean that Haiti can continue to recover long after the disaster aid starts tapering off.

For anyone without specialized and needed skills, the aid message has been pretty consistent - cash donations through trusted groups. Three thousand unplanned volunteers just dropped in sixty miles from Port-Au-Prince isn't going to be a big help. Donations made by those same passengers via their cruise account will be.

Good points Kev. And good call on the location of Labadee - I was mislead by that BoingBoing article that stated the call was "just a few kilometers from one of the worst humanitarian disasters in the region's history." The location is as you stated, to the north-west of Cap-Haitien.

It didn't pass the smell test at first but things look a bit more palatable now.

damned if you do, damned if you don't

Yup.

Good points Kev. And good call on the location of Labadee - I was mislead by that BoingBoing article that stated the call was "just a few kilometers from one of the worst humanitarian disasters in the region's history." The location is as you stated, to the north-west of Cap-Haitien.

It didn't pass the smell test at first but things look a bit more palatable now.

I hear you. I had the same reaction when I first read the article on boinboing (a site i really enjoy). Had to read the source article to get some more details.

This is so often the case with the way most of us receive the news. It's invariably in short bursts of headlines and bullet points with very little context or scale. The National has been doing a great job each night trying to give this disaster a real human face and not just supplying numbers like a scorecard.

As always, the Big Picture at boston.com has some incredible photographs. Here is the latest set:

Haiti, Six Days Later

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/haiti_six_days_later.html

damned if you do, damned if you don't

Yup.

This is the kind of goods that take up cargo space that could be used for medical supplies, water purification equipment, etc.

Solar Powered Bibles Sent to Haiti

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/19/2796032.htm

betcha somebody figures out a way to use the solar cells to recharge phone batteries, and the paper will be used for lighting fires or tp!

wow...i can't help but notice how much notice and help haiti is getting compared to when a disaster of similar magnitude hit burma a few years ago. i can't think of any famous people that stepped up on that one.

i'm not saying that haiti doesn't need it! i'm just sad that burma constantly gets swept under the rug.

Is it fair to compare these disasters?

The people affected are different, the extent is different, the political environment and response is different, NGO and military response is different, the media response and coverage is drastically different, the interpersonal connections are different (millions of Haitians in Canada / USA), the geography is different (Haiti is almost in our backyard)... etc etc

That's just a small percentage of the differences. I don't think it's possible to compare the two. They are both awful, that's for sure.

It doesn't excuse the relatively poor response to Burma, but it does go a long way to explain the differences IMO. Or something like that.

yeah, i had a feeling you'd do that.

they are all people suffering, even if the similarities are only a history of poverty and evil governance, exacerbating a huge natural disaster that kills hundreds of thousands. obviously it's easier to get in and help haiti. like i said i have no problem with people helping haiti.

Canada raised 9.4 million in the telethon last night. That's truly remarkable.

I'm trying to figure out a way to see if construction workers/riggers/welders/fitters are needed down there at some point. I'd go in a second if the opportunity was there.

Pat Robertson voodoo doll

Rush Limbaugh voodoo doll

Though funny, and equally offensive, here are the links to the NEW auctions that fit ebay's sensitivity guidelines.

Why offensive?

First of all, voodoo dolls do not come from Voudou, but from the swampy Louisiana mish mash of delta culture.

Secondly, some people will take these things seriously and intend to cause harm to people, which is what shouldn't come from the tragedy in Haiti.

nevertheless, the proceeds supposedly go to relief efforts.

Rush Voodoo Doll

Pat Voodo Doll

i have the very same voodoo doll from a trip to NOLA a few years ago. its mass produced and can be had for $5 in any bourbon street shoppe. mine has two white pins and is intended for good. the black pins in these rush and pat versions are intended not for bad, but for removing bad. so, using these dolls on rush or pat would actually make them better people.