Jambands.ca

Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010

nibbler

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This piece sums up some of one part of one of the criticisms

I remember it as if it were yesterday. It’s one of those ‘where were you when…’ moments. I sat with co-workers in the audio-visual department at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. We huddled around a 17-inch TV screen. The signal was coming from halfway around the world. But we felt as if we were right there, because Bill Hewitt made the call:

“Henderson has scored for Canada!†he shouted.

Of course, it was the 1972 USSR-Canada Summit Series and hockey player Paul Henderson had just scored the most celebrated goal of his career – the winning goal against the Soviet national team. In so doing, he had etched his name, the series and the Canadian maple leaf symbol on the front of his jersey into the consciousness of a generation. My generation. For the first time since the Centennial in 1967, I guess, people right across the country felt proud. We partied. We screamed ’til our voices went hoarse. We even admitted we were suddenly, well, patriotic.

For younger Canadians, the stunning run down Cypress Mountain by moguls skier Alexandre Bilodeau, last Sunday, became their patriotic moment. Outracing his rivals – Dale Begg-Smith from Australia and Bryan Wilson from the U.S. – Bilodeau (like Henderson) had etched his name into the record books. But the 22-year-old did something greater than that. He lifted the monkey from Canadians’ backs. He earned the first ever Olympic gold medal won by a Canadian on home turf. What’s perhaps more important – at the medal presentation ceremony in Vancouver Monday night – he attracted 22,000 Canadians who cheered, jumped and even sang “O Canada†out loud. He made Canadians very proud.

But wait a minute! This wasn’t right! This wasn’t in character!

In fact, according to the media mavens – principally U.S. TV commentators and the British press – who are attending and covering the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, such behaviour by Canadians was not in keeping with what they expected. Canadians weren’t supposed to be demonstrative. They’re not supposed to wear their hearts on theirs sleeves. Not only that, but according to one British scribe, Canadians weren’t supposed to be lusting for medals at all. They weren’t supposed to win.

“Implor(ing) its athletes in an initiative aimed at ensuring the host nation finishes at the top of the medals tables at these games,†a Guardian newspaper reporter wrote, “came across as distinctly un-Canadian.â€

Of course, the Guardian reporter was referring to “Own the Podium,†the official Canadian campaign underwritten by government funding to finance the country’s Olympic athletes to win more Games medals than ever before – 30 they hope. And why not?  Didn’t the Italians hope for that in Turino in 2006? Or the Americans at Salt Lake City in 2002? Or, more appropriately, won’t the British in London in 2012?

Perhaps even more to the point – which the British journalist failed to report – Canadians have a much wider view of winning medals than most. While eager to criticize Canadian athletes and citizens for their outpouring of enthusiasm, the Guardian reporter failed to mention that moments after his gold medal victory at Cypress, Alexandre Bilodeau dedicated his victory to his older brother Frederic, who has cerebral palsy.

“Growing up with a brother who’s handicapped you learn so much,†Bilodeau told the Toronto Star. “He’s got the right to complain. He never complains. We can learn so much from those people.â€

How much more Canadian can a victory speech be? And then there was Kristina Groves’ bronze-medal finish at the Richmond Olympic Oval for speed skating. On Sunday, the 33-year-old competitor from Ottawa managed to fend off many of the world’s accepted leaders. She still captured Canada’s first bronze medal in Vancouver in the 3,000-metre race. And did she take full credit herself? No. She credited the spectators at the Oval saying they lifted her to the bronze.

“Especially on the corners,†she told the press, “they made me want to dance on my blades.â€

I remember interviewing Diane Jones Konihowski, Canadian pentathlete at the 1976 Summer Olympics, where Canadians were shut out of top spot at the medal podium. She was considered a gold-medal contender. But she didn’t have the psychological or financial benefit of “Own the Podium.†In front of the hometown crowd at the Big O in Montreal, Jonesy said she just couldn’t deliver.

“In the high jump (one of the five events in the competition,)†she said, “I felt as if I was jumping with the entire nation on my back.â€

So, I don’t have any problem with patriotic Canadians cheering their Olympic heroes on. I don’t see the damage the U.S. and British media see. If the shoe were on the other foot – as it was in Salt Lake City and will be in London – it’s no different. Hometown pride is natural and acceptable.

All the harshness coming out in print from the UK and the USA is pathetic. A fine example of this is from a piece "written" for Salon.com (which has really gone downhill lately) that got a big response from Canadians and intelligent-minded Americans:

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/02/16/steve_almond_olympics/index.html

Some farking classic replies to his drivel have been posted:

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/02/16/olympics_canadians_strike_back/index.html

I do believe they are retrofitted with special tires and blades. Olympias?? Maybe they should have sprang for the brand name: Zamboni.

Exactly! Wonder what the inner workings of that deal were. Surprised the Olympic Committee would allow machines with a name brand Olympia to even exist (they'll shut anyone down that they can, or bleed money from 'em).

Zamboni ain't too pleased that their name is being used too:

http://www.salon.com/technology/how_the_world_works/2010/02/16/circle_the_zambonis/index.html

Olympia =\ Olympic, Kev.

I know that ... come on. I am simply referring to the fact that they are nasty shits when it comes to rolling into town with their games and making sure that nobody makes any money with anything that closely resembles anything to do with the "Olympic" brand or anything related to it (without them getting a healthy chunk.)

I recall back when Toronto was simply bidding for the 96 Olympics and they were all over a small family owned business on the Danforth. They were Greek and had the word Olympic in their name and had been operating under it since the late 50s or something. The IOC came in and attempted to force them to change their name.

And they went with the Olympia machines because they run on electricity, unlike Zambonis (which are propane maybe?)

Really? Interesting. Sucks when they don't work as advertised ;)

From its new aerodynamically designed exterior to its push button controls, the OLYMPIA Millenium is built for the ultimate in performance and ease of use.

Why the fuck to you need an aerodynamically designed exterior on an ice resurfacer????

I wonder why they have to bring in a zamboni from Calgary. Surely there are zambonis in Vancouver that could be rented. Or are they customized for speed skating ovals?

Which brings things full circle to my point that they (Canadian Olympic Committee) should have bid for the games to be held in Calgary!

Can we start the Games all over?

or, can Harper prorogue them?

I know, I know, just competeing is impressive blah blah blah. but this is getting ridiculous. we have 2 out of 5 short track finalists and end up 4th and 5th. In five years of training didn't anybody tell the Hamelin brothers to not go all out at the beginning? Dude is coming to the finish line for a bronze in ski cross. and then there was taht hockey game to cap of the day yesterday. (Kristina Groves silver medal notwithstanding.)

anyone catch the Kill Devil Falls during the break at the canada/us game tonight?

I heard Axilla at one point too, i think ;) Isn't Vancouver known for tossing in some jambands material at Canucks games?

WHAT THE FUCK is up with them pumping through Ole Ole Ole crap over the PA at the end of the game????? AND they did it when the US scores and wins the game????? Oh My Fuck is that STUPID and they should cease and desist instantly :P

I know, I know, just competeing is impressive blah blah blah. but this is getting ridiculous. we have 2 out of 5 short track finalists and end up 4th and 5th. In five years of training didn't anybody tell the Hamelin brothers to not go all out at the beginning? Dude is coming to the finish line for a bronze in ski cross. and then there was taht hockey game to cap of the day yesterday. (Kristina Groves silver medal notwithstanding.)

[color:purple]well it is Monday today, but it's not football, so I guess it would be unfair to call you a Monday Morning Quarterback. ;)

Phish.net has done a great job compiling all the recent Phish sightings over the Vancouver Olympic Games. Now, if they could only help us find "Boner" from Growing Pains.........

We're receiving daily reports of Phish "sightings" during NBC's coverage of the Vancouver Winter Olympics, including:

Ocelot was played during trials for the ski jump on 12/26/09.

First Tube was used in the bump to a commercial about the upcoming bobsled competition on 2/20/10.

Tweezer Reprise (a good 3 minutes worth!) was the background music for the Ono speedskating segment late on 2/20/10.

Kill Devil Falls (the version from Joy) was played over the PA at the Canada vs. USA men's hockey game 2/21/10, with about 15 seconds left in the first period. They played about 20 seconds of the chorus before the puck was dropped again.

Axilla (Part II) (from Hoist) was played with about 8 minutes left in the second period at the same game.

Thanks to Andrew Cogan, Christopher Herrick, Christopher Lusk, Jeremy Pinquist, and Shaun McGrath for these recent reports - and to Scott Bartmanm who some time ago reported that Piper was used in cuts to commercials at the Olympics four years ago!

Other recent sightings include Good Morning America on 12/27/09; Seven Below as background music on 93XRT in Chicago in December 2009, advertising an upcoming concert by another band; and an Albany, NY, sportstalk radio show (104.5 WTMM The Team's Sound off with Sinkoff) has used Sparkle and other Phish songs as background music while Alan Fish reads promos.

as a Canadian; what a proud night! a DOMINANT canadian performance against russia > (does anyone know if this was live?) but THE best canadian athletic segue EVER! 1 and 2 in woman's two "man" bobsleigh > a silver in short track speed skating! have we ever felt so showered with glory as a country before?

these are the sorts of canadian days that the Hip write songs about.....

Hey,

I hope everyone is doing ok. I chatted with some of the Wintersleep boys yesterday - they were on MOD. Great performance. I said to Much's PR woman: "Great band today, which is something I haven't said in two weeks". She said sarcastically: "You are hilarious".

A few days back, I saw this hippy walking around handing out CDs to the crew; I asked for one, and lo and behold, it was a newish release from Wassabi Collective. I forgot the dude's name, but he's in the band. Today the madness known as Usher and his posse invade the MOD stage (thankfully, he's not performing).

Kick Yankee ass on Sunday!

Edited by Guest