Jambands.ca

Chris and Kate tonight - Ottawa

bouche

We didn't miss Po' Girl. I was quite suprised by that group. Banjo, fiddle, stand-up bass, acoustic guitar and a drummer with brushes. They basically had my favorite lineup of instruments.

The place was setup for a play and the set was a living room. The drummer used the elegant sofa as seat. It was a very interesting setup and all of the musicians felt like they were playing in a living room filled with an audience.

Chris Brown and Kate Fenner are an incredible pair of musicians. They have a very naked show with only keys, their voices and the occasional guitar.

Chris has some major talent on the rhodes and clavinet that really stands out in such a light ensemble.

These guys are great for a night of purdy music.

I really enjoyed the show as well, although I did leave my wine glass on the seat when I left. Take that GCTC staff! That will show you for firing our Freeker. (I know, a bad ass I aint).

Po girl was AMAZING. What a set of vocals on that girl and just like Bouche I really enjoy that line-up of simple instruments making beautiful music. I liked the whistle/fiddle duo at the end of their set, that was certainly unique.

Chris and Kate were just as good as their CD makes them sound (and I noticed about 10 people who bought CD's just in our tiny section.) They have great charisma and they charmed the audience with light banter. Kate's voice had Bouche on the end of his seat. It has such purity yet a raspiness that is uniquely hers. Chris is one hell of a keys player. He had effects going, where during the many times he was the only instrument player, it never sounded dull or even all that acoustic. It was very, very cool and used appropriately.

I heard that they thouroughly enjoyed playing to an Ottawa audience. The GCTC was packed with people even sitting in the aisles and the stage set was so beautiful that they couldn't help but feel cozy and at ease. I'm sure they'll be back, and next time.... don't miss them!

thats awesome that you guys checked out that show! very very cool duo, indeed....i cant get enough of kate's voice...man....they were a real treat for me when i got to see them (way up close!) at Evolve....if you havent, you should hear some of their old Bourbon Tabernacle Choir stuff...bigger sound with a full band, pretty different but very good...they do a great collaboration with the rheostatics covering Neil - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - ohhhh man, when you hear kate singin there's a woman that she'd like to get to know, i dont think there's any man who wouldnt be on the edge of his seat. haha.

Archived