Jambands.ca

Opening Ceremony- Dima's thoughts.

I feel like if the people that planned this had squeezed in more performances like KD Lang and not worried so much about proving to the world that Canada has an identity, the Ceremony could have gone down in the history books.

Not saying that poem by that Neck Beard was bad or anything, but, its kind the epitome of our problem. He was commissioned to write that thing as a testament to the world of who we are.

Why do we need to prove who we are to anyone?

Lets give the world what we're really about; incredible performers. The Neil Youngs, The Kd Langs, the Arcade Fires etc. Lets let them use that mind blowing light installation that they created. Lets use their music to honor imagery of peace and athletics.

But unfortunately, the majority of that incredible production was wasted on trying to focus on some sort of Canadian Identity.

Canada’s Land, Canada’s so called Natives, Canada’s Irish, Canada’s this, Canada’s that, Blah blah blah. I’ve never seen a ceremony with such a heavy emphasis on “identityâ€.

Its Canada's (at least, the people in charge of attempting to "brand" us) inferiority complex that made that ceremony, at times, come off as kind of pathetic.

Had it not been for KD's heart stopping, mind blowing, awe inspiring rendition of that incredible song, the ceremony for the most part would have been a dud.

When it boils down to it, Canada, when faced with presenting ourselves to the world, comes off as the ugly girl in high school, who actually really is pretty, but just doesn't know it, and tries too hard to "fit in" and ends up being perceived as pathetic.

Know what I'm sayin?

Had we just filled the ceremony with non stop incredible performances by our greatest talents, in that incredible production, we would have done something truly Canadian:

That is; not worried about "proving" anything (ala all other ceremonies) and just done something truly incredible, entertaining, and genuine.

funny enough, i absolutely adored kd lang's performance as much as you did...i find hallelujah one of those songs "that everybody does" but lang really made me stop what i was doing and pay attention...almost as good if not better than jeff buckley's performance, i think i would say better only because buckley's can be associated with sadness whereas lang was trying sing about more of a positive idea

I've listened to k.d. lang's performance three times now. Absolutely spine-tingling each time. Do yourself a favour and crank this one up on a good stereo system. Mesmerizing.

I love that it was the performance that officially opened the Olympics. The doves flying free during her performance (video doves, not real ones ). Also what she represents as that ability to be who she is in every way being a Canadian.

"Hallelujah"

Now I've heard there was a secret chord

That David played, and it pleased the Lord

But you don't really care for music, do you?

It goes like this

The fourth, the fifth

The minor fall, the major lift

The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof

You saw her bathing on the roof

Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you

She tied you

To a kitchen chair

She broke your throne, and she cut your hair

And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Baby I have been here before

I know this room, I've walked this floor

I used to live alone before I knew you.

I've seen your flag on the marble arch

Love is not a victory march

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you let me know

What's really going on below

But now you never show it to me, do you?

And remember when I moved in you

The holy dove was moving too

And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain

I don't even know the name

But if I did, well really, what's it to you?

There's a blaze of light

In every word

It doesn't matter which you heard

The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much

I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch

I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

And even though

It all went wrong

I'll stand before the Lord of Song

With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah

two things became transparent to the world friday night: kd lang is a world class performer and leonard cohen is world class songwriter.

others things also became quite clear to the world. canada is a great but complicated country. we are idealistic but maybe a bit too abstract. we are respectful but maybe a bit boring. we know how to party but not too much. we are technologically driven but human. and we are inclusive ... no buts.

watching a 3+ hour stadium production of thousands of volunteers live will surely include moments of pause, unprefered tastes and embarassing glitches. it's not glossy hollywood afterall and maybe its unfair to think it should be.

n0212155A.jpg

hats off to the organizers for a fantastic welcome.

although to be honest, I could have done without bryan adams and that fantastic ass in the blue dress pretending to sing beside him.

I was just reading a review of a movie called Watchmen that uses it, and the reviewer said "Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?" And I kind of feel the same way. I think it's a good song, but I think too many people sing it.

- Leonard Cohen.

I agree, give it a rest already.

Wanna hear more k.d. lang and Canadian songs? I suggest this ablum:

http://rs682.rapidshare.com/files/299492491/KDLHOT49P2004.rar

2qi0im0.jpg

01. After The Gold Rush - (Neil Young)

02. Simple - (David Piltch)

03. Helpless - (Neil Young)

04. A Case Of You - (Joni Mitchell)

05. The Valley - (Jane Siberry)

06. Hallelujah - (Leonard Cohen)

07. The Day I Walk - (Bruce ~censored~)

08. Fallen - (Ron Sexsmith)

09. Jericho - (Joni Mitchell)

10. Bird On A Wire - (Leonard Cohen)

11. Love Is Everything - (Jane Siberry)

Would that be 'One Day I Walk' or is it a different tune?

Anyhoo I thought the opening ceremonies were excellent. Maybe a little too reliant on video but the video was awesome!! Some of the best I've ever seen.

KD was awesome and I personally never tire of that song though I realize it has been done an awful lot (the worst being Bon Jovi-whaddup dat?)....I think it is one of the best songs ever written and what a showcase performance in the eyes of the world it was.

Many people from around the world probably have never heard it....