Jambands.ca

Don't forget Furthur tonight...

Swifty

Don't forget to bring your A game Wednesday Swifty.

and if your reserving songs here is my list:

golden road

terrapin

passenger

cumberland

jack straw

loser

wharf rat

st steph --11

jack a roe

born cross eyed

wheel

shakedown

prdie of cucamonga(if phil is singing i want this one)

broke down palace

Edited by Guest

Furthur

Barton Hall

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY

February 14, 2010

Source : Schoeps MK4V > Nbox > Sound Devices 722 (line in, +0.0 dB)

Location : general admission, official taper section, front right corner of the soundboard, ~10' right of center, ~75' from the stage lip, ~10' high

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532630

Source: JWmod AKG 463's>V2>SD722

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=532615

It was a snoozer. Didn't have to be - if they would have done the tunes in a different order. (ie. open second set with China-Rider, instead of UJB).

The room was really big - lots of space, they say 4800 capaciy, but I'd guess they could fit 8000 comfortably - and no booze for sale. That combined with the song order (if not song choice) made it really hard to get the crowd going.

It was actually one of those shows were it would have been beautiful from a lazy boy. It was like Phil was trying to show off the compositions for the ivey leaguers.

unbroken was epic - but it was epic in a go the opera and look down at the performers through whatever those little glasses you use at the opera are.

Beatiful tunes and performed well. I guess I just miss the old formula that worked so well as far as first set vs. second set, openers, closers, ballads. Say what you will about 90s dead (or 80s really) but the formula worked. I think it would have been a bit more out of hand last nigth with the formula...

Say what you will about 90s dead (or 80s really) but the formula worked.

Agreed. 87 and 89 were my two favourite tours (summer) and the early 90s were just plain fun all round, Jerry's health aside. But by 6/13/93, I had had my fill of the tour scene and the bs that came with it, so that's where I called it quits.

The best shows that i attended were probably in 1989 - agreed. but this show was the closest that I've come to the Dead experience since 1995. and it was a probably a better show than anything I saw since 1992.

While I really love Warren - I'm a big fan of gov't mule - I didn't like him in "The Dead." His sound is so powerful that he tends to just takeover the tune. And that's not what I want when I see Bobby, Phil et al...

I actually really like the fact that the whole set structure of the 80s and 90s is out the window. takes out the predictability. china>sotm>rider was kinda cool. although, I would have rather heard the china>hey jude>rider that they were supposed to do. I wonder who called that audible. My daughter is really into the Beatles these days, so that would have been cool for her to hear.

a longer review...

First off some personal background. On Saturday I went skiing like I do every week. I`m a pretty good skier, and seldom wipeout. Well, this week as I was heading down a fairly steep hill going very fast, I lost an edge and spun so that my head was down the hill and my head snapped back and smashed onto the hard packed snow. My immediate though was that my helmet had just saved my life. I never lost consciousness, and took a couple more runs and then called it a day. I was felling okay until Saturday night. Shortly after going to bed I woke up with intense shivers, nausea, headache, etc. All symptoms of a concussion, I now know. I woke up Sunday morning feeling like crap. But I already had tickets, a paid for hotel. And I REALLY wanted to attend this show. So, we (myself, wife and two kids) left for Ithaca at about 12:30.

After checking into the hotel, we grabbed some dinner and headed to Barton Hall. We entered the “hall†at 6:30. Later than I had hoped for, but still found seats in the first row of the bleachers at the back of the venue. With the kids, we needed seats. There were some seats on one of the sides, but they were high up and far back.

Some observations:

The sound was much better than I had expected for that place. I spent part of the second set up close directly in front of Phil. The sound there was great,a nd you could really hear Phil clearly which was nice.

This show was the closest that I have felt to the Dead experience since 1995 (and arguably better than anything I saw since 1992). I’ve talked before about my thought of Warren playing with these guys. His sound, which I love in the right context, is just too powerful, playing with these guys. JK is a perfect fit for the obvious reasons.

Midnight hour opener - nice and unexpected.

They love each other - my second guess the show opener. Valentines Day. Makes sense. And nicely played.

Peggy O - Phil singing, but he actually sounded fine to me. Not out of his range, and well played. Actually, the whole show was well played. On paper, this setlist doesn’t really excite me, but the boys really showed up to play. Their performance more than made up for song selection.

The first set was a bit slow. I would have liked some rockier tunes, but it had it’s moments. Some great jams in Sugaree and JK just raged on it. He was definitely inspired by playing at Barton Hall with Bobby and Phil.

UJB to open the second set -would have liked more of a rocker, but well played and enjoyed. Phil and Bobby are definitely having a blast on stage. Bobby screws up the timing at starts vocals early for one of the verses. Phil laughs. Some things never change.

Peaceful Valley - had no idea what this song us. Correctly quessed it was a Ryan Adam’s tune. Fit in very well.

Ashes and Glass - always happy to hear a Ratdog tune. Things start rockin’ now!

Unbroken Chain - Wow. IMO, this was fucking EPIC. Longest song of the show. Better than any I heard in the ‘90s. Always great to hear Phil singing a Phil tune.

Morning Dew - totally unexpected in this spot. Very happy that Phil gave this one up to JK. Definitely a big improvement. Nicely played. Don’t recall anything special, but I also was walking around a bit and not playing super close attention.

China cat>sotm>rider - nice way to mix things up. The set list actually had hey jude instead of SOTM which I would have rather heard. Especially since my daughter is very into the Beatles these days. I was also pleased that Bobby sand SOTM rather than JK. Something about JK singing this would not have sat well with me. I was actually a bit skeptical when I heard them start this and was expecting JK to sing.

Samson encore - obviously expected, and enjoyed. I was surprised that they didn’t open the second set with it. Different arrangement as it started with the chorus before the first verse. Is that a new thing?

All in all a great time had by all. I really like the way that they have mixed things up re the predictable set list structure and song pairings of the ‘80 and ‘90s. Anything goes.

Thanks for the review BWM.

I actually really like the fact that the whole set structure of the 80s and 90s is out the window.

I agree. I'm glad they aren't using the 80s/90s set structure anymore as well. The main reason why, no Jerry and that's what made the past structure what it was in my opinion. I may miss the old, but it certainly doesn't mean I dislike the new either.

I enjoyed listening to this show, and have enjoyed the shows from this tour I've listened to so far. Makes me wish I could have hit a couple of them.

I don't know, without hearing it set two looked pretty damn great to me. I love the rockin' tunes too, but I have no problem latching on to the melodies of their ballads and letting them take me up, up and away.

I mean: Unbroken Chain > Morning Dew > Other One > China Cat Sunflower > Standing on the Moon > Jam > I Know You Rider, E: Samson and Delilah !!!!!

Wow! That would probably give me enough solitude to carry me for a good long while.

Monday's setlist looked great as well.

I haven't been keeping close enough attention to know whether they're doing any repeats or not. I hope there's a couple!!

Your list was looking pretty good too elemeno!

One more sleep!!!!