Jambands.ca

Hurt Locker's Academy Awards

bouche

I'm curious about what people think about all of these awards for a movie like The Hurt Locker. While I found the movie to be very well done, I don't understand why the direction, editing, sound mixing/editing was such a big deal.

How hard was it for the director to envision Baghdad, when that place EXISTS? I am confused as to why something like Avatar didn't get James Cameron the award for best director.He had to invent technology. Then he had to get everyone to understand his vision, and get actors to make-believe, and create a world and sounds that didn't exist. Then put that all together into a

movie.

Isn't that what defines the best director?

Hurt Locker

Best Picture

Directing

Film Editing

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Writing (Original Screenplay)

Cameron had technology invented. He may have envisioned it but I doubt he was writing code and making all the stuff himself. He's an idea guy and a great one at that.

I saw Avatar and to be fair, I haven't seen hurt Locker...but chances are that Hurt Locker would be a lot more genuinely engrossing than Avatar, which demanded the technology to engross us into the movie.

All actors make-believe. It's getting the audience to forget that when we're watching it, which did not happen with Avatar - which used the new technologies to distract us from the fact that it's make-believe.

All directors have a vision and must get this across to the cast and some of the crew.

To have to get a personal vision of a current war understood and worked towards by a whole cast and crew is (probably) a lot harder than a whole new world in a different time.

While I liked Avatar, it felt a lot more like entertainment than art, which defines things a bit more to me - since the Academy Awards are essentially group-based, it doesn't really matter what I think about them.

Which is great, since I think they're irrelevant.

Seconded: Well done war films are almost a shoe-in for an award.

YATS doesn't have to fly the conspiracy flag with his comments about the oscars, his signature does it all on its own.

A director is considered for an Oscar nomination if he invokes the best performances out of every cast and crew member. That not just being the acting and visual effects but every aspect of the film.

I saw Avatar and to be fair, I haven't seen hurt Locker...but chances are that Hurt Locker would be a lot more genuinely engrossing than Avatar, which demanded the technology to engross us into the movie.

really? you opened with "to be fair" and you weren't fair at all. Hurt Locker wasn't genuinely engrossing. I didn't feel anything other than alot of boredom.

All actors make-believe. It's getting the audience to forget that when we're watching it, which did not happen with Avatar - which used the new technologies to distract us from the fact that it's make-believe.

I guess you didn't see any of the comments and reports after the massive release? It seems that people really believed what they were watching.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

"James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora."

All directors have a vision and must get this across to the cast and some of the crew.

that's my point. have you seen the behind-the-scenes for avatar? It's incredible what cameron had to do to get the vision across. that's my frigging point.

Oh yeah, and don't forget either that they invented a LANGUAGE for the native navi in the movie.

Creating technology or language isn't artistic film-making. And to show a real environment and have it be believable is a huge challenge compared to made-up nonsense.

Also, James Cameron is a pompous jackass.

I found Bigelow's directing in The Hurt Locker instrumental in delivering the tension and hopelessness of the war. Also, she shot the film in a cinema verite style, which underscore's the plot's gritty realism. I do admire Cameron's direction and vision, but Avatar has some big flaws and isn't as good, quality-wise, as The Hurt Locked or Up in The Air (the latter I liked better than The Hurt Locker). If you want to compare geek action pics, Star Trek delivers better than Avatar too.

You may be underestimating the roles of Cameron's art directors, animators and cinematographer (all deserve recognition). However, Avatar's story is tired, the acting is across-the-board stiff and jingoistic and the climax is predictable; it looks and sounds good though.

You may be underestimating the roles of Cameron's art directors, animators and cinematographer (all deserve recognition). However, Avatar's story is tired, the acting is across-the-board stiff and jingoistic and the climax is predictable; it looks and sounds good though.

I'm not underestimating at all, but he's THE director responsible for all of their roles too right?

So, where is the oscar category for Best Story?

Here's more on Avatar's upset

I didn't think Hurt Locker was that great. I would have picked Precious over it for best pic. Maybe Bigelow won for direction cause it was the eve of International Women's Day (and her ex-hubby is a bit of a pompous dick). image-5-for-oscars-2010-kathryn-bigelow-and-james-cameron-gallery-35979971.jpg

Avatar definitely deserved more credit than it got... perhaps the Academy figured the reward was in the unprecedented box office take.

really? you opened with "to be fair" and you weren't fair at all. Hurt Locker wasn't genuinely engrossing. I didn't feel anything other than alot of boredom.

It seems that people really believed what they were watching.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

"James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora."

It's incredible what cameron had to do to get the vision across. that's my frigging point.

Oh yeah, and don't forget either that they invented a LANGUAGE for the native navi in the movie.

I WAS fair. I didn't talk about how hurt locker was awesome or not, I came out of the gate commenting about how i have not seen the movie, so only had Avatar to go by.

Maybe 'balanced' was what you read into that, but I certainly didn't use that term.

As for Avatar being 'too real'...you must not have read anything I wrote about the technology or overall conceptual base (though my post wasn't as bloated and useless as it could have been)...

So what if they 'invented' a language? Moviegoers were absolutely distracted by technology from the fact that they were in the theatre. It wasn't all direction Bouche.

While Cameron deserves the nomination (IMO), after seeing Avatar I can say that I'm not surprised that he didn't win.

YATS: I didn't really say that much in defense of the Hurt Locker. In both sentences I came to 'defend', they were qualified with 'chances are' and 'probably'.

Creating technology or language isn't artistic film-making. And to show a real environment and have it be believable is a huge challenge compared to made-up nonsense.

I wish I could think to sum everything I said up in 2 short sentences.

Thanks, AD.