Jambands.ca

White Stripes Under Great White Northern Lights

Jaimoe

The CD/DVD came out today. I haven't watched the film (I'm flipping through scenes right now and fracking love what I'm seeing and hearing). But I did just listen to most of the live CD and it's fucking awesome. It's heavy, raw and powerful, but anyone that witnessed their 2007 tour wouldn't expect anyting different. It's also impressively recorded and mastered. So far, the most explosive rock tracks are "Black Math", a very heavy-hitting "Icky Thump", a re-worked "Ball and Biscuit" and "When I Hear My Name", complete with some fine unaccompanied blues solos. Note: the CD does a good job of not repeating songs from the DVD's shows.

I shall buy mine at an independent record store, rather than at a multinational conglomerate.

I agree with your attitude. I drop tons of money into indie record stores such as Mike's on the Danforth and Criminal Records on Queen Street. I just happened to be walking by HMV and there it was and I could resist. I'm a huge fan (I think the Stripes are one of the most important rock bands of this century) and the CD and DVD are fucking great. I think I'll have to go to Criminal next week and buy some CDs to ease my consciousness.

Guest Low Roller

In other Jack White news:

Potentially exciting news from Jack White in the new issue of the UK GQ: he's recorded a song with Jay-Z. "We did a song together a few weeks ago. It was incredible," White told the magazine. "I played him something that I've been kicking around for a while and he immediately came out with words for it. It's unbelievable-sounding." No details on when and how the song might be released. It would be pretty cool if Jack rapped and Jay played guitar, but that seems unlikely. (via TwentyFour Bit)

Does anyone know if any/what tracks are from the Toronto show?

the ones with virtually no crowd noise?

The Molson Amphitheatre show was fucking insane. The sold out concert had fans up en masse standing and grooving, singing and dancing. I loved the atmosphere and I was proud to be a part of it. It was the same for their T.O. show during the Get Behind Me Satan tour. Toronto has rightly earned its reputation for having listless fans, but it's not the case when certain bands come to town, and The White Stripes are one of those special bands.