Jambands.ca

Salsa

bagochips

I use this one from Rick Bayless all the time:

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Salsa Tomate Verde Asado

If all-raw tomatillo salsa is all light-fresh-immediate, roasted tomatillo salsa is richer and more settled, balancing freshness with the sweet caramel of pan-roasting. I love the way it perks up grilled steak tacos or makes a black bean tostada a dish to dream about. And a soft tortilla full of chorizo sausage and browned potatoes plays incredibly well with roasted tomatillo salsa. You can make the base of this salsa in advance—as much as several days. But I'd advise you to add the cilantro (finely chop it) and onion when you're ready to serve.

Makes 1 ½ cups

* 4 medium (about 8 ounces total) tomatillos, husked, rinsed and halved

* 2 large garlic cloves, peeled

* Hot green chiles to taste (I like 2 serranos or 1 jalapeño), stemmed and roughly chopped

* About 1/3 cup (loosely packed) roughly chopped cilantro

* ½ small white onion, finely chopped

* Salt

Set a large (10-inch) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat (if a non-stick skillet is unavailable, lay in a piece of foil). Lay in the garlic and tomatillos (cut side down). When the tomatillos are well browned, 3 or 4 minutes, turn everything over and brown the other side. (The tomatillos should be completely soft.)

Scrape the tomatillos and garlic into a blender or food processor, and let cool to room temperature, about 3 minutes. Add the chile, cilantro and ¼ cup water. Blend to a coarse puree. Pour into a salsa dish and thin with a little additional water if necessary to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency.

Scoop the chopped onion into a strainer and rinse under cold water. Stir into the salsa. Taste and season with salt, usually about ½ teaspoon.

In the summertime when the tomatoes are good I like this one from the Rebar cookbook:

Fresh-Cut Tomato Salsa:

6 tomatoes, finely diced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

½ small red onion, minced

â…“ bunch cilantro, stemmed and finely chopped

juice of one lime

1 tsp brown sugar

½ tsp salt, or more to taste

Fresh-Cut Tomato Salsa:

6 tomatoes, finely diced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

½ small red onion, minced

â…“ bunch cilantro, stemmed and finely chopped

juice of one lime

1 tsp brown sugar

½ tsp salt, or more to taste

This is a staple in my house...I usually leave out the sugar, and add tons of garlic though

Here are 3 recipes from the NYTimes Food Section:

Salsa Roja

2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes (or 1 28-ounce can tomatoes)

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

6 to 8 dried chiles de árbol

1 small onion, sliced

1 garlic clove

6 cloves

1 or 2 pieces Mexican canela, or 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and allspice

Salt.

1. To make salsa: If using fresh tomatoes, place in a pot of simmering water and let cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain, remove stem ends, and purée with a blender.

2. In a skillet, heat oil until shimmering. Add chilies, onion, garlic, cloves and canela (or spices), sprinkle with salt and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add tomato purée or canned tomatoes and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and slightly sweet, about 15 minutes. Taste for salt. Purée with a blender until smooth.

Yield: about 3 cups.

Note: You can simmer poached chicken in the salsa or serve it separately with steak or roast pork.

Salsa Ranchera

1/2 ounce dried guajillo chilies, stemmed and seeded

6 ripe plum tomatoes

2 garlic cloves

3/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 green poblano chili, roasted, stemmed, seeded and diced

Salt.

1. In a bowl, just cover dried chilies with boiling water and let steep until tender, at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. Drain off and reserve soaking water. Purée chilies in a blender, adding soaking water as needed to make a smooth paste. Strain to remove skin bits and set aside.

2. In a pot, combine tomatoes, garlic, 1/2 cup onion, cumin and 2 tablespoons of guajillo purée. (Remainder can be refrigerated up to 1 week.) Add 1/2 cup water, bring to a simmer, and simmer until tomatoes collapse, about 10 minutes. Purée in a blender, then pour into a skillet.

3. Bring to a simmer and stir in remaining 1/4 cup chopped onion, diced poblano chili and salt to taste.

Yield: About 1 quart.

Note: For huevos rancheros, place two fried tortillas on a large plate, top with 1/2 cup cooked black or pinto beans, two fried eggs, hot salsa and grated Cotija cheese. Salsa can also be served with steak, roast pork or chicken.

Salsa Verde

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 pounds tomatillos, papery husks removed, cut in half

8 to 12 serrano chilies (depending on heat tolerance)

1/2 onion, peeled

1 garlic clove

6 whole sprigs cilantro, stems included

Lime juice

Salt. 1. In a wide skillet, heat oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add tomatillos, chilies, onion (cut side down) and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, turning often, until vegetables are browned, turning to black, and seared on all sides.

2. Add cilantro and purée with blender until smooth and creamy, adding a little water if needed to loosen. Season to taste with salt and lime juice. The sauce should be tart and spicy but rounded in flavor.

Yield: About 2 cups.

Note: This salsa is good on fish and particularly good with tongue.

I've always wanted to try a fermented salsa, but haven't gotten around to it. I had a recipe bookmarked on the old machine that people raved about, but can't find the exact one.

Here's a couple lactofermented ones that I stumbled across via Google though.

For the brave:

http://tryingtraditional.wordpress.com/2008/08/03/lacto-fermented-salsa

http://familyfermentation.blogspot.com/2009/06/lacto-fermented-salsa.html