Jambands.ca

GOTV 2010 Line-up

Esau.

Does it seem strange to anyone else that that announcement gives top billing to Damian Marley?

A lot of years they have a theme (like tribute to James Brown etc.). This year seems to be a reggae/Bob Marley vibe.

It does say Damian Marley & Nas (I'm way out of the loop but isn't Nas huge in the hip-hop world?).

i've never even heard of Nas. when's the last time there was no appearance by Bobby or Phil?

either way, this festival is no longer one that really works for me. so, the lineup is purely an interest thing to me. but, if i had been considering going, i wouldn't be any more. I guess that i'm more old school. and i've never really gotten primus.

Furthur will get added I bet... there is always more dead there. They probably just have to wait because Furthur announced the Furthur fest this week and want to sell those first...

I may be wrong, but I think GOTV has a huge "guaranteed" crowd. ie. the Terrapin Station folks and old timers from upstate and NYC are going to be there every year regardless of lineup. Its the festival as much as the acts (which is how I've always thought of Hillside, for example).

A lot of upset folks on the GOTV site about the line up (some upset about the ticket price vs. line-up, most just the line-up). Rumor on the board is that Furthur won't be playing, although none of the actual Terrapin staff have yet to confirm that, so who knows. Regardless, it seems a lot of the GOTV core fans are on the fence this year after the line up was announced.

Furthur is confirmed for All-good though. (July 8-11)

I only went once in 1998 when it was still a pretty small festival.

1998 Line-up

Conehead Buddah ~ Deep Banana Blackout ~

The Disco Biscuits ~ Ekoostik Hookah ~ Fat Mama ~ Gordon Stone Trio ~ Gov't Mule ~

Jazz Mandolin Project ~ Jeh Kulu Dance & Drum Theater ~ Late night Terrapin Jam (with David Gans) ~ Max Creek ~ Michael Ray & The Cosmic Krewe ~ moe. ~ Ominous Seapods ~ Percy Hill ~ South Catherine St. Jug Band ~ Strangefolk ~ Zen Tricksters

moe. was selling Maxell cassettes of their shows at the merch table & the Disco Biscuits were still a jamband.

Oh how things have changed.

From wikipedia:

"From 2001 to 2005, Nas was involved in a widely publicized feud with rapper Jay-Z; both rappers verbally attacked each other in their songs. The two formally ended their rivalry through duet performances at concerts sponsored by New York City-area hip-hop radio stations."

Wouldn't it be funny if String Cheese came back with a new album dissing Widespread Panic?

Widespread would have to respond...in song. Why does this only happen in hip hop?