Jambands.ca

The Ann Coulter thing

Velvet

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, don't go putting "wank" and "Ann Coulter" in the same complete thought. Ew.

YT, I had some goof of a student come up to me this week, and sight unseen, try sharing a ridiculously racist (I mean, embarrassingly so) joke, hoping that I would laugh along (it was a decidedly anti-Native thing). I let him know that I completely failed to see any humour in it, even though he thought it was killer. Ok, there was a baseline of irony in it, meaning that, like any joke is supposed to, the punchline jumped tracks. I think this is where Coulter thinks she can call herself a comedian, but it's so very, very blind. And this is why a woman like her can appeal to idiots like this kid, and why a kid like that could find some justification in hearing someone like her get such press.

To my mind her opinions are irrelevant, and have no place in the controversy. People should be able to speak their minds within the limits of the law regardless of what they say.

It seems like people who try and stop others from speaking their minds within the law are the ones with the questionable beliefs.

For the record, before Tuesday I had heard of Ann Coulter, but I thought she was a singer. I point this out to illustrate that any defense I have for her position has nothing to do with what she says, which, as mentioned earlier, I find basically irrelevant.

To my mind her opinions are irrelevant, and have no place in the controversy. People should be able to speak their minds within the limits of the law regardless of what they say.

It seems like people who try and stop others from speaking their minds within the law are the ones with the questionable beliefs.

For the record, before Tuesday I had heard of Ann Coulter, but I thought she was a singer. I point this out to illustrate that any defense I have for her position has nothing to do with what she says, which, as mentioned earlier, I find basically irrelevant.

My hero.

... shouldn't have been such credibility to be seen as a 'speaker' in the first place but rather as a political entertainer/comedian-which of course she can't do since she isn't really funny. I'm not sure anyone who talks all the smack she does should be given much credibility.

this is interesting. categorizing her as an "entertainer" seems to make a lot of sense. I go to see comedians like Lisa Lampanelli, Joan Rivers and Arte Lange talk smack about a lot of racial groups. In the context of it being a comedy performance, I dont take their outrageously foul words seriously, nor do they, and nor do the people in the audience.

the difference is that Coulter does want to be taken seriously with all of her political views but at the same time claim to be trying to be satirical when making her racist comments. she can't have it both ways, that's the problem.

her commentary loses it satirical edge when her fans completely buy into the racism that she claims is just for fun. that's the part that she seems unwilling to examine. i still think she's a cunt, tho'. :D

with that people have a right to listen, ignore, or speak their minds in regards to someone's views like Coulter's. I don't know why people want to listen to her. I don't understand what value she brings to the table.

with that people have a right to listen, ignore, or speak their minds in regards to someone's views like Coulter's. I don't know why people want to listen to her. I don't understand what value she brings to the table.

How's Howard Stern working out for you these days?