Jambands.ca

Levon Helm on Spectacle @ 10pm

Prost

Saturday, Mar. 27 at 10pm - Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson, Allen Toussaint and Levon Helm

On this episode of the acclaimed original series, host and ringleader Elvis Costello literally builds a band in front of the audience’s eyes and ears. Joining him for this once in a lifetime jam session are his former record producer Nick Lowe on bass, legendary New Orleans producer/pianist Allen Toussaint, UK guitar giant Richard Thompson, and to complete his band, drummer Levon Helm.

Great show ... though as much as I love The Weight, I've heard at least a dozen collaborative versions and it's a wee bit tiresome. I was Toussaint would have helped out on Ophelia or something, but maybe it's best without Levon's vocals.

Great show ... though as much as I love The Weight, I've heard at least a dozen collaborative versions and it's a wee bit tiresome. I was Toussaint would have helped out on Ophelia or something, but maybe it's best without Levon's vocals.

Agreed! I enjoyed the show. It was my first time seeing Spectacle, and I was a bit surprised that with the way it is set up (with artists coming up gradually), there were only 2 songs with Levon playing (given that it's a 1 hour show). I love how Levon's presence lights up a room.

What is the status of Levon's voice today? Is he singing again?

Toussaint was the highlight of the show for me. That man is amazing; I'd love to see him live someday.

EDIT: Allen Toussaint is playing at the Toronto Jazz Festival on June 30th, the day after Levon at Massey Hall!

Edited by Guest

Oooh! Hopefully that means a guest appearance by Toussaint for the Tuesday night Massey show!!

Unfortunately only caught the first half of the show. Fatigue got the better of me...pretty sad when I can't even make it to ten. How did Lamontagne sound?

How did Lamontagne sound?

Good, though Costello came over to his mic during the "catch a cannonball" verse and was so riled up that it looked like Lamontagne was having a hard time getting his face close enough to the mic to be heard.

How did Lamontagne sound?

Good' date=' though Costello came over to his mic during the "catch a cannonball" verse and was so riled up that it looked like Lamontagne was having a hard time getting his face close enough to the mic to be heard.

[/quote']

I caught that too, it looked like a battle for the mic and who's voice could be heard louder.

Toussaint was the highlight of the show for me. That man is amazing; I'd love to see him live someday.

Ya, he was fantastic. Great voice and playing.

Barrring from Toussaint's portion, being the biggest Levon geek going, I found the whole show a bit tiresome. I hate seeing Levon like that for one, the footage is gladly a bit dated I'd imagine his voice is in much better shape - I liked the concession to not having him talk too much with the rim shot bit but it was sad too.

Agreed on never needing to hear The Weight again. Although Lamontagne was a good call and are you guys idiots the cannonball verse other than Toussaint's was the only one that really sung and they shared the mic fine.