Jambands.ca

Voip

tigger

I used to, it was OK when connection idle but call quality really suffered while I was downloading or uploading anything.

That said I have friends and used to work at a company that used VOIP exclusively and no problems at all.

Sorry I couldn't be definitive, hehe.

Guest Low Roller

I use VOIP when calling HQ over in England. The call quality is really good, with only some minor quibbles here and there, such as occasional 'Transformer' voice.

Overall I am quite satisfied. It saves a ton of cash on oversea calls.

The ONLY time I have issues is when i'm UPLOADING. Uploading at fullspeed affects everything these days. It has to do with the way the providers partition and allocate the bandwidth. Downloading doesn't affect our Vonage line much, but if it doesn, I just put everything on pause, or limit upload/download. That's rare though.

Our internet has been down once this year, but we have cellphone access so it's no big deal. You setup the vonage line to forward calls to your cell phone if there is no connection.

Go Vonage. Like others have said as long as you have good quality ISP then there are no issues.

Great features: Set up calls to be directly routed to another number (cell phone) if your ISP is ever down. Instant access to info online and control of features. Simul-ring (set it up so that your phone rings on multi numbers - home, cell, work - and whichever picks up first takes the call). Voicemail automatically forwarded to any email as an MP3 attachment (love this). FREE anywhere in North America on the $19.99 plan (free for Western Europe on the $39.99 plan) You can also take your VOIP box with you anywhere and have it work as long as you get an internet connection.

Vonage is wayyy cheaper than the standard providers (Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, Sympatico, etc.)

As for security systems, they don't work on VOIP (well mine did for some time, but it can be a bit flakey). Better to have cell service on home alarms anyway (even though the police never get there in time to stop any thieves ).