Jambands.ca

Ratdog was SICK!

shainhouse

well, i was certainly due for a dose of Bobby and some Dead tunes, and last night did not disappoint!

dancin' in the aisles with phunkyb on the floor, and up in the balcony with POG and earthfreak [big Grin]

The entire show was a lot of fun...thanks Trevor

if you liked Ratdog, you'll LOVE a DSO show

quote:

I'll pay $40 to see the real thing, but I won't pay that kind of money for a group of people who are really good at being unoriginal and copying someone else's work. A friend of mine remarked to me that there are usually more people at a DSO show than there was last night, and that is really sad.

Bob Wier was fantastic... sitting up close and watching his guitar technique was a real treat... totally original rhythym player, phantom finger style... really enjoyed seeing his band for the first time, particularly the bass and horn players... had a laugh when Bobby missed a few lines (I thought the whole show had kind of a loose, informal feel to it... the first line he missed I was standing right up front and let out a badly timed yell I think might have thrown him off... whoops [Wink] )

I liked the Jerry songs because during the guitar solo Bobby would slip into that familiar Dead accompanyment mode... can't see that most nights of the week... never seen it from up so close

great show

GRATE TIMES LAST NIGHT!!!

Unbelievable being right up front for most of the show....it's a little surreal being that close, ie. as close as is humanly possible, Steve's pics will be unbelievable, there's no question!!

Big River, was like, disco Big River, wild, only the second time Ratdog's ever played that...

Greatest Story was nutz!!!

Masterpiece - real nice.

That William Tell bridge always gets me, wild..

Kenny Brooks on sax, is amazing, and Mark Karan has some definite moments of transcendence last night....nice seeing y'all - BOBBEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Here's my take on the Ratdog show.

First set -- nice opener, band is really tight and a great song choice to set the mood and lead us into... Easy Answers? Show took a quick left turn for me here and it took me a while to get back into things. Then the band dropped a fat dose of psychedelia with an awesome Matilda Mother > TNK > MM. I'd seen this on their setlists but never heard it and was very impressed. Very cool. The set closing Eyes was transcendant. Just some amazing solos. I was too stunned to clap.

Nice acoustic numbers to start the 2nd set. Greatest Story was a cool surprise, but I agree that it was missing some of that "pump song" feel. It actually sounded like they were starting Devil with a Blue Dress. I don't really like Bobby's version of Schoolgirl and Ashes and Glass must have been karma for making Bobby jokes so the intensity level was dropping for me until they went into the phat St. Stephen > Eleven segment. Some real nice jamming between songs and delivered with a ton of energy. I was starting to get back into the swing of things when, after a quick Not Fade Away, the show was over. Damn that was short. Ain't nothing worse than the short show feeling. Crowd went nuts during Touch of Grey encore and the atmosphere was electric.

Bit of a pisser to hear they blew off a Darkstar. I was looking for that song all night but I guess they had to drop it for time restrictions. Was it on the setlist Weirdness?

Overall, some strong highlights amidst a bunch of mostly good stuff. Except for a couple of solos, I wasn't really impressed with Mark Karan. Kind of disappointed actually. Wonder what Ratdog would sound like with a really good guitarist (or two [big Grin] ).

Hey Hux, where'd you disappear after the show? Couldn't find you anywhere. Sneak backstage with Bobby? [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Weirdness:

Security was VERY chill, there were people smoking all over the place, minimal resistance even though they gave a nice long break to go out and smoke. Otherwise, they were mildly tense about keeping the aisles clear. Barely though.

My girlfriend saw this - petite security lady in our section grabs the cigarette out of a guys mouth, stomps it out on the ground and yells at him to leave. I think he just ignored her. Sounds funny. Wish I'd seen it.

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

quote:

I'll pay $40 to see the real thing, but I won't pay that kind of money for a group of people who are really good at being unoriginal and copying someone else's work. A friend of mine remarked to me that there are usually more people at a DSO show than there was last night, and that is really sad.

well DSO play better than any surviving member of the Dead so why the hell not? I'd rather pay to see someone play that KNOWS the words to the songs as opposed to just saying "yeah, I saw Bobby"

Archived