Jambands.ca

Coffee preferences

bouche

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised at how many of you decide to submit to cheap ass Maxwell house branded coffee or even Tim Horton's. I've come to believe that coffee can not only wake you up' date=' but you can also enjoy the fuck out of it.

Maxwell house and Nabob doesn't even SMELL like coffee. yeesh. Bradm, Nabob....really? And you appreciate great beer and wine. I'm surprised. egad. omfg. rofl. jeebuz.[/quote']

Could we not say that in regards to just about anything, though? I'm surprised by how many music lovers submit to mp3s, not to mention the Disco Biscuits. I'm surprised by how many beer drinkers submit to Molson Canadian. Some people would never drive anything less than a luxury car, but you're probably fine with your Honda, or whatever. Etc. But everyone has priorities, and clearly for many people, coffee that is just "fine" is, well, fine.

yeah, you can definitely connect my delicate question with those elements.

However, I was just focusing on good fucking coffee.

I'm surprised at how many of you decide to submit to cheap ass Maxwell house branded coffee or even Tim Horton's. I've come to believe that coffee can not only wake you up' date=' but you can also enjoy the fuck out of it.

Maxwell house and Nabob doesn't even SMELL like coffee. yeesh. Bradm, Nabob....really? And you appreciate great beer and wine. I'm surprised. egad. omfg. rofl. jeebuz.[/quote']

I really hope you're not as much of a yuppie as this post suggests, Bouche.

The most crucial part of the initial question is whether or not one drinks their coffee black or with cream/milk/creamer/sugar

...or only brews coffee, rather than adding some cinnamon or mustard or a pinch of salt into the mix.

I PREFER whole beans, ground, in a french press - and while it's clear to ME that preground coffee is stale and lazy, I still drink preground coffee and enjoy the fuck out of it.

If I can have maple syrup and 10% cream then great, if not maple syrup then Demarara sugar, if not demarara then brown sugar, of not brown sugar then I'll generally drink the coffee black without cream.

The Cinnamon/Mustard pinches are great once in awhile, but only for a creamy sweet drink for me.

I can enjoy the hell out of a craft beer or a PBR...so it stands to reason that if you can't stomach black coffee then you don't really like coffee, you like dessert beverages

...and though I take myself fairly seriously when I say that, I expect to be the only one that does.

are you in coffee agreement? I hope so. however I think I would like more information on mustard pinches...... wtf?

However, I was just focusing on good fucking coffee.

Then why are you drinking Costa Rican coffee? Clearly African, Indonesian or Arabica roasts pack more flavor and smell a helluva lot better.

I'm surprised by how many music lovers submit to mp3s.

:thumbup:

More than a teaspoon of sugar and it's dessert...

I like it with just enough milk to make it immediatly drinkable, if there's no milk then cream, if there's no cream then cold water.

Real beans are better, but I like the PC West Coast Dark Roast "Gourmet" stuff. It does the trick. Gotta drink it fast though once you open the canister, it gets stale quick.

I stopped drinking coffee because i am on a health kick these days and i used to consume way too much coffee so I cut it way back. But when i did drink coffee alot I went with bridgehead medium roast peruvian. Great stuff. I also went the kickinghorse route. As well as when we went to burlington, vt the farmer's market has some great local and imported coffees that we would always dip into. But if you want a nice strong coffee try a turkish cofee. I have a package of coffee arabica just sitting in my counter ready to be opened. That will give ya the kick you want!!

mmmmmm...drrrooooling....must take ass to cafe for americano now...I can smell it just from reading this thread.

Pretty big fan of Brazilian here. Anything sickly dark and rich really. I'll definitely be checking out IDEAL sooner than later. First I've heard of it. Thanks!

I have mad OSO NEGRO love...many a morning before school...hmmm...

Edited by Guest

2 things.

One, although I don't like Starbucks, they do deserve credit for using 5% or more fair trade coffee in all their shops. None of the other commercial coffee houses do that to my knowledge (Tims, Timothy's, Second Cup etc. etc.)

Second, does anyone know an east end place to get roasted beans comprable to Kickinghorse for under the $15/pound K-horse costs? That would be great...

I'm a coffee snob.

I grind my beans in a burr grinder, brew them in a Bialetti moka pot, and drink it with a half teaspoon of sugar and warm frothed milk.

I buy Just Us beans alot because they're local, fair trade, organic and relatively cheap. They make some good beans and some bad ones. I love their Sumatran and Ethiopian, but hate their French roast.

Kicking Horse are okay too, but they're not much better than Just Us and they're almost twice the price around here.

Lately I've been buying beans from 49th Parallel. They are expensive, but sublime. For the past few weeks I've been hooked on their Burundi Gatare beans. Check them out.

I was just gonna say that Ideal would my #1 choice in Ottawa. We have Two in TO, and Pete Elkas' girlfriend worked there for a long time as the coffee roaster. I too noticed that Ideal also had a Prince of Darkness blend.... I used to drink Oso Negro in Canmore allll the time. I asked her about this, and I found out that the guy who started Ideal was from Nelson and also started Oso Negro, and then Ideal when he came to Ontario! Ideal is definately my favourite....

Although, and I'm glad to see it on here as well... CAFE DU MONDE coffee kicks major ass. I bought some in New Orleans after visiting the cafe for breakfast (the beignets were to die for) and where they sell mountains of it at every tourist shop, and I've seen in it more southern grovery stores as well in the US. I actually ordered a case of it from their website. Might have to do that again...

2 things.

One, although I don't like Starbucks, they do deserve credit for using 5% or more fair trade coffee in all their shops. None of the other commercial coffee houses do that to my knowledge (Tims, Timothy's, Second Cup etc. etc.)

Second, does anyone know an east end place to get roasted beans comprable to Kickinghorse for under the $15/pound K-horse costs? That would be great...

The Big Carrot in Toronto carries many brands of Fair Trade coffee such as Ethical Bean, Planet Bean and Kicking Horse (which is one of my least favourites of their coffees). You can get all their brands for under $15 except for KH for some reason. I've seen KH for under $13 in Kensington Market at an organic store on Kensigton Ave.

Oh, Timothy's sells Fair Trade coffee and it's excellent.

CAFE DU MONDE coffee kicks major ass. ... I actually ordered a case of it from their website. Might have to do that again...

did that work out alrite? duty? shipping? ive debated doing the same thing, although to be honest, 24 cans is a daunting inventory. there was a place in toronto on queen east near the opera house thst sold it years ago, not sure if its still there.

Most recently I had two great roasts I purchased from Midnight Sun Coffee (Whitehorse, YK), (Muleskinner's Blend & Organic Black Raven's Roast) While I was up there, we made that shop part of our daily routine. The people & the coffee were so good I started to order different blends from them twice a year (for my b-day & xmas usually) and make em last. I'm sure I could get pretty much the same blends here in my area, but it's just one of those places I felt good buying from.

Cool! Have you had the Midnight Sun Espresso Stout from Yukon Brewing? They use the coffee you speak of...A nice jug of beer.

I really hope you're not as much of a yuppie as this post suggests, Bouche.

I was just gonna say that Ideal would my #1 choice in Ottawa. We have Two in TO, and Pete Elkas' girlfriend worked there for a long time as the coffee roaster. I too noticed that Ideal also had a Prince of Darkness blend.... I used to drink Oso Negro in Canmore allll the time. I asked her about this, and I found out that the guy who started Ideal was from Nelson and also started Oso Negro, and then Ideal when he came to Ontario! Ideal is definately my favourite....

Although, and I'm glad to see it on here as well... CAFE DU MONDE coffee kicks major ass. I bought some in New Orleans after visiting the cafe for breakfast (the beignets were to die for) and where they sell mountains of it at every tourist shop, and I've seen in it more southern grovery stores as well in the US. I actually ordered a case of it from their website. Might have to do that again...

AHA! That must be my good highschool buddy James who worked for the dude who started Oso! I never actually made it to his TO shops. When I last spoke to him he had sold his shops for a small fortune and is living in a quaint hut in Costa Rica with his lady and their dog....funny, small world.

Bouche: we are in partial coffee agreement...I can enjoy coffee that I feel is substandard and although it makes me feel like a hypocrite, I know it's just coffee.

re: pinch of mustard...try it in a pot. Just a pinch though. I prefer cinnamon or a bit of real vanilla...even though the fake crap does almost as well for this application (Something tells me you don't like artificial anything)

Ms. Zimmy: I hope you're around when I get that 'I'm gonna tell that jerk what I think about his ugly crosseyed friend that spat in my face' look in my eye.

Then why are you drinking Costa Rican coffee? Clearly African, Indonesian or Arabica roasts pack more flavor and smell a helluva lot better.

They didn't sell african or indonesian coffee in san jose costa rica. We could only find mountain grown costa rican coffee. I think the volcanoes had something to do with the good quality.

I was drinking the Kicking HOrse for awhile, I decided to get more local and buy coffee from the SKYDRAGON here in hamilton... They could use the support too!!

The Red HIll Coffee company also has really awesome freshly roasted coffee!

I usually grind the beans just before brewing in a french press :D yummmmy. I Like my coffee really sweet too, with cream.

But I also love timmies... I am from the hammer after all. Starbucks is good too. I love how they brew it super strong!!

I really do not like instant coffee.... yuck.

Arabica coffee is not from a geographic region...there are 2 types of coffee beans - robusto and arabica. robusto are cheap, crappy, and very rich in caffiene. Unless a coffee says '100% arabica coffee' it will be Robusto. To not put that on a label is a huge oversight, expecially considering that the cost diferrential is enormous.

Arabica coffee is 'merely' a better type of bean.

It's the easiest and cheapest way to make sure you get a minimum level of quality with your sale brands.

Although it's possible, I don't know (not that I'm up on my coffee anymore) of any $15/lb coffee (or thereabouts) that has any robusto beans.

Not trying to correct you, Esau, but it's a great little coffee tip. If you are a coffee spendthrift then you'll at least get better, healthier brew

Arabica coffee is not from a geographic region...there are 2 types of coffee beans - robusto and arabica. robusto are cheap, crappy, and very rich in caffiene. Unless a coffee says '100% arabica coffee' it will be Robusto. To not put that on a label is a huge oversight, expecially considering that the cost diferrential is enormous.

Arabica coffee is 'merely' a better type of bean.

It's the easiest and cheapest way to make sure you get a minimum level of quality with your sale brands.

Although it's possible, I don't know (not that I'm up on my coffee anymore) of any $15/lb coffee (or thereabouts) that has any robusto beans.

Not trying to correct you, Esau, but it's a great little coffee tip. If you are a coffee spendthrift then you'll at least get better, healthier brew

A simple spelling error to be honest. Arabic was the intended word, but being a coffee discussion I guess I got my words crossed between my brain & keyboard.

Coffea arabica (species) is indigenous to the Arabian Peninusla.

Perhaps the coffee my brother brought me from Yemen was merely maxwell house. I can't read Arabic.

Thanks, for the "tip".

I went to a meditation course and they had 'imitation coffee'...which I believe was some instant chickory stuff (obviously bulk) and it was awesome. with milk and honey...awesome.

Instant coffee has its place...most notably in baking.

They love instant coffee in Korea, especially in the offices, where a serving comes in a stick similar to these:

539834.jpg

I have discovered another use (aside from baking) for instant coffee: it makes for a great alcoholic mix. Vodka, tonic, one of those coffee stick and lemon. Sounds crazy; tastes great. Trust me. At least, I think you should trust me - I have several non-memories of drinking that mix all night. Try it out. Delicious.